• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compact Bong Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hipcrostino

Ok so last night i read up on what a bong is in water cooling and how it works.

The pipe design works well obviously, but its not very compact. It got me thinking. I came up with this design. Its only issue that i can see is the hight of the case its attached too. If its not high enough it won't be effective. It could bring this idea down from the start (i don't know what the minimum height is though).

So supposing height isn't an issue, then i came up with this design. It would be something like 5cm(~2") thick(more if you want, your choice) and makes up the sidepanel of the case behind the mobo tray (the side you don't remove often). See the picture below for a basic look. It could be change in any number of ways to improve it, but the basic idea is there.

It hooks into your water loop, with water flowing into the top of the "unit" (this is what i will call it from here on in) and either dispersing over the water grate (so just a plate with lots of holes drilled) or more probably just a copper pipe with lots of small holes in it. The water then falls the bottom of the unit, which is the hight of the case and returns into the loop from there. A vent is created to allow cold air in by luvering in a section of the unit. this way the water falling above will be defected away and not leave the unit in mass.

To improve further a section of the top could be devoted to a res which would operate off a float tap in the bottom of the unit to keep the water level correct. You would only need to top up this res when needed. Fans etc could be added for effiiency etc etc.

Tell us what you think and if it would be plausible or has been done before. At this point in time i don't intended on producing one.

Attachments

• bong cooling.JPG
    bong cooling.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 511
I know what bong cooling is and the basic gist of how it works, and I don't see why that wouldn't work.

If it works well, that's a very good idea. It could even resemble a giant radiator :)

I'm not that familiar with the physics behind bong cooling, but this design does seem to overcome the problems associated with 'mini' bongs, greater surface area than a thin pipe but still compact.

The water grate/pipe would need some attention, as most of the water would just drop straight down on the first hole, in a stream rather than a spray or droplets. Perhaps two intakes at either end to evenly spread the water?

I think you might have something there, looks good. if the holes are small in the grate the water should not all come out the first set of holes.

Looks good, almost looks like a waterfall setup. If you know the x & y dimensions you could compare the surface area to different bong sizes. When I made my bong it was about 9cm diameter and 90cm high, that would be a medium sized bong.

Well, it will have a fairly high heat capacity but it wont give you water thats any colder than bong of the same height.

I thought about building a bong like this as a window for a case project I never did.

Seems like it could work...I'm not sure how well...but it looks very interesting!

Hip,

Another alternative design made by my friend almost more than 5 years ago, he is a engineer for huge cooling gear used in heavy industry, too bad I never had a chance to make it.

The main objective is is to have large surface of cooling area for the water against the flow of the cold air, while with minimal noise as possible. The second bottom fan is optional.

Pardon my crappy paint job, the pic should speaks for it self.
BOX BONG.png

Last edited:
that looks great bing. Noise was one flaw in my design. I'm sure the sound of dripping water would make you want to go take a leak all the time!

I have to say, if one of these things worked well, there could even be a market for this.

Question is, who wants to ginnie pig this :p

Back