• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My DCC-2 has never been quiet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J So

About a year and a half ago I replaced my old pump with a DCC-2. Since day one it's made a sand like noise and I figured that was normal but today I was reading about how the DCC-2 is supposed to be be almost completley silent.

I can hear my pump over 3 120mm fans in my closed case so now I feel a little worried and a little annoyed.

I've been running this thing almost every day for a year and a half and it seems to be working fine but it's about that time to redo my loop and system and I would rather not have to replace the pump. Honestly I'd probably just go back to air cooled if I had to buy a new one.

Anyone know if I can get rid of the noise or have this issue?

Thanks!

How do you have it mounted?

I've heard that if mounted on one of those Petra Gel pads, it's almost entirely silent.

My D5 can be heard outside of my case at 2-3 setting, but thats because I just bolt mounted it down. If I put a gel pad in between, it's so much quieter.

It's sitting on one of those free Tempur-Pedic samples so it's not vibrating against metal.

I used a DDC-2 for about 10 months also mounted on a tempur-pedic sample and it was quiet. Being a noise freak, I ended up changing over to a plain DDC just for near complete silence, but I never noticed any kind of noise like you are describing. The DDC-2 had a slight higher pitched hummm to it, but nothing like that.

As for what you can do, besides going with another pump, there is probably nothing. Or just use it until it eventually dies.

Silence is a very subjective issue. I have seen people say that a 50z pump is silent when at over 40db it is unbelievably loud to me, and that is with several high speed fans running also. 24-26db with a DDC is more like it to me with all yates barely running at 4v. The DDC-2 at about 32db was too loud for me.

Mine was noisy until I upgraded the top (Alphacool). After that it became virtually inaudible. Before it was similar to your description. The water velocity through the larger connectors will obviously be reduced, plus I suspect the motor rpms drop as well, could be why it made such a difference. And I dont have mine sitting on any foam or pads, its right against the case.

I made a custom noise dampener using a the foam packing from around an HDD (NewEgg used to use these but that's changed :-/). Works very well, though I'm sure it adds a little heat to the loop - no way for air to cool it mounted that way.

Do you have the pump bolted to your case or is it just sitting there on the foam ...???

It's just sitting there.

I'll just use the same pump when I redo my loop in the next month or so.

Thanks!

I had the same problem, and just like calvin, after installing an Alphacool top the noise disappeared.

I think it has to do with bubbles inside the pump, since all of my other pumps would make the same noise while bleeding.

Back