• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time on water...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finny

Hey, I was thinking about putting my system on water. But I have some questions and want a little advise.

I have a pretty small case, so I have no room for a double radiator, and want to put the radiators I do have on exaust fans. Is this ok? I have an 80 and a 120mm. I'm on socket 939, but am planning to go to LGA 775 or AM2+, whichever quad is better, prolly the Penryn... And want to put the res. in a drive bay... I want to keep this about 100-200, cheap as possible, but good. What do you think is the best plan? And where to buy?

Thanks

North Dakota eh? Not that far from me! ;)

You have room for a dual ;)

Swiftech makes a product called a "Radbox" found here:
http://swiftnets.com/products/MCB-120-R2.asp

It allows you to mount a radiator on the back of your computer like I did a LONG time ago:
smallpic2.jpg

It bolts on where you would mount a fan, then you just bolt the radiator on and your good to go :D

Others will be able to help you pick out parts, I've been out of the "loop" for awhile now.

Thats a little difficult for me though... see, I have my computer in little desk, parents skimped and forced me to get a new tiny case and everything, its is put cockeyed int he corner. With my square foot sub behind it. And the case already sticks out a good 4 inches..... I have about 2-3 inches before I'm hitting. I mean, my VGA cable to my monitor is at like a 90 degree bend...

If your that cramped for space outside....there is no way you will be able to put it on the inside if you have a small case.

Any reason for watercooling? With a few simple case mods, better fans and heatsink(s), you can get the noise level of a nice watercooling system but well under $100.

IMHO, I'd say drop watercooling and focus on what you can do with air, I made the switch about 3 months ago and my system is quieter and runs cooler (same hardware).

I very much doubt I will go back. The only other cooling I'll do instead of air is dry ice ;)

The noise mostly, just 2-3 fans is all I want, intake fans are what keep my system kind of cool, without those it is baking, and those are what are so noisy, and cooler temps, I'm gonna clock every bit out of every device that comes into my reach.

It is in the desk. Ok for comparison... I've got my G15, then the length of my hand for my Copperhead, that is how wide the desk is, and it is about 3 feet tall, about 2 and a half for the PC.

Ok, I can get the Gigabyte Galexy II for $90 open box... Would that be good with maybe another radiator or a different CPU block or anything?

Ok, only saying this once: No kits.

They provide sub-par cooling with large price tags. If you want silence (like I said earlier) do some case mods, gets some good fans and get good heatsinks.

That kit is the worst choice you can make right now ;)

For $81 you can get 6 Yate Loon High speeds fans (run them on a controller, they are VERY quiet) and a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. That combination I just listed will literally blow that "watercooling" kit out of the water. There are many members here that will back me up on this. :beer:

Many have gone down the path of kits and have been very disappointed. I myself started that way (before I joined OCF) and really wish I hadn't. Once I joined OCF, I realized how horrible it was and upgraded to real watercooling.

Don't get me wrong though, it is your money and there is nothing I can say to defer you from that kit if you want it. I'm just telling you my experience along with others on the forums ;)

when you said "first time on water" made it sound like you were learning to swim. hehe.

Yeah don't buy a kit, assemble a parts list...

Ok, only saying this once: No kits.

They provide sub-par cooling with large price tags. If you want silence (like I said earlier) do some case mods, gets some good fans and get good heatsinks.

That kit is the worst choice you can make right now ;)

For $81 you can get 6 Yate Loon High speeds fans (run them on a controller, they are VERY quiet) and a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. That combination I just listed will literally blow that "watercooling" kit out of the water. There are many members here that will back me up on this. :beer:

Many have gone down the path of kits and have been very disappointed. I myself started that way (before I joined OCF) and really wish I hadn't. Once I joined OCF, I realized how horrible it was and upgraded to real watercooling.

Don't get me wrong though, it is your money and there is nothing I can say to defer you from that kit if you want it. I'm just telling you my experience along with others on the forums ;)

Then I say it twice, NO KITS, NO KITS!

They are rubbish :(

Do what thideras said, get a Thermalright. You will get better temperatures with that than a watercooling kit like that galaxy

Please no kit !!!

First of I had a gigabyte kit never again .
I mean it worked, but left me wanting something better .
Could you take a snap shot of your case ??
Maybe have better Idea than ...

Happy Modding

OKOK lol. No kits! Can anyone give me a basic outline of what to get though. Not final on getting water... but I might... Just want to get some background....

Back