• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABit IP35-E what memory should i get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost2501

I was just going to get some ocz ddr2 800 (pc2 6400) Dual channel ram. Is there any special ram i should get specifically for this board its been a long time since I built a pc and I know the least about ram at this point.

What should I look for in timings this is what I was going to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227248

Timing 5-4-4-18

what does the 18 mean the higher the better or vise versa? also I would want to get ram with cas 5 right?

I plan on getting the intel E2180 processor.

thanks

I agree with the suggestion, but don't buy them at that price.

They are usually available with MIR which bring them down to the $50-$60 range, sometimes less. The Tracers (same, but with LED lights) currently have a $30 rebate at the egg and they come to about $65, shipped.

Fry's recently had them for around $50 without rebates and so did Buy.com.

Just check the Cyber Deals section regularly and you'll find them at very good prices.

I am a little confused about cas latency these days can any of you enlighten me I have seen modern ram selling with 2.0, 2.5, 4, 5, 7, 8 all kinds of cas latency. I thought the lower the better but why 8? must be a reason for it.

I am a little confused about cas latency these days can any of you enlighten me I have seen modern ram selling with 2.0, 2.5, 4, 5, 7, 8 all kinds of cas latency. I thought the lower the better but why 8? must be a reason for it.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=3157

page 6 , page 7 . has a good lay out of what the latency means . but also points out price differences .

First off...here is a very good buy on Ballistix Tracers PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066 or 533MHz default clocks)...$80 shipped or $10 less if you are a first time Google Check Out user...and no rebates. :)

Secondly, lower CAS is better, but not the only consideration when it comes to ram clocks. The following might explain all those different timings.

1) the CAS 2 and 2.5 you listed is probably for DDR1,

2) the CAS 4 & 5 is most likely DDR2, and

3) the CAS 7 & 8 are for sure DDR3

Hope that helps.

yes that helps me a lot I could have looked around all night and that info has got me started thanks.

since I am going for ddr2 I probably shoul get some CAS 4 ram

yes that helps me a lot I could have looked around all night and that info has got me started thanks.

since I am going for ddr2 I probably shoul get some CAS 4 ram

Lots of DDR2-800 will be available with 4-4-4-12 or similar timings and if based on Micron D9GMH chips, will probably run CAS 3 at those speeds with add'l voltage. For those not interested or capable of giving more Vit. "V" to the ram, then ram based on Promos chips, such as the G.Skills "HK"s are a good choice and they actually have tighter stock timings (something like 4-4-3-5 or similar, if I remember correctly) and do not require high voltages...they will however, not generally clock as high as the Micron based stuff (but should be capable of at least DDR2-1000 type clocks with 5-5-5-12 or so timings).

Last edited:
newegg has a nice $30 on wintec ddr2 1066 memory right now making it I think $85, I'm giving that a shot when my ip35-e comes next week. Right now I use super talent and it easily makes the 4-4-3-8 2.2v that they claim it can do.

Some of those Super Talent came with Micron D9GMH. If yours do, then you really won't gain from buying the Wintec, as it will be nothing more than overclocked D9s at best.

You can do the same with your Super Talent by just overclocking them to the same speeds.

i use the crucial balli 6400 with my ip35-e
havent really messed with trying to oc them yet, still tweaking my core oc
but theyve run up to ~950 or so at stock 4-4-4-12 at stock volts....im sure they have more in them once i have time to mess with them

Back