• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What wcing kit do you reccomend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

So my friend is building a rig and wants to water cool it. He is willing to spend around 300 dollars more or less for one and is wandering what kind of kit he should get. He will be cooling a quad core q6600 and 8800 gtx. Your recommendations are appreciated.

NONE!!!!! w/c kits are total POS. there are few that are good though, like swiftech kits but thats all i know of.

your best to build your own, not that hard.
since its a quad and a GTX then i would get the following, and i will be come march.

though you might want to change out the apogee GTX for a Dtek Fuzion if your worried about corrosion. the top of the GTX is made with aluminum, plated with nickel, but there can still be problems. you should avoid mixing metals in a water cooling loop as various coolants can cause a reaction (the aluminum gets eatin away) with different metals.

if you really like the look of the GTX you can get a copper top which fixes all problems, link for the copper top.

i don't see the difference between buying your parts separate, the best way (like with computers) versus buying a kit. you still have to assemble the kit, so why not get good parts.

Last edited:
Do they make a watercooling kit with a FuZion CPU block, MCW60 GPU block + ramsinks, MC320 rad, and a MCP655 pump?

If so, get that. If not...buy them separate and put it together yourself.

Edit: I haven't shopped in a while, but if I'm correct...

FuZion=$50
MCW60+ramsinks=$60
MCR320 rad=$60
MCP655 pump = $65

Total is $235. That leaves $65 for tubing, clamps, fittings (for t-line fillport), shipping, 3x120mm fans, and distilled water+additive. That's more then plenty. The best part is, aside from some extreme pump action and an overpriced rad (PA120.3) you'll have the best watercooling money can buy. This is obviously without chilling, etc, etc.

He doesn't have a clue how to build one though he was going to buy a kit and have someone build it for him

If the ease of a prebuilt setup is worth the decreased performance per dollar then go for it. Otherwise, it isn't really that hard to set a loop up. I was extremely nervous when I did my first loop and the only resource I had was this site. Now it is like second nature and I've never lost a component (knock on wood).

The first time you setup a loop it might take you a Saturday afternoon to plan it out and install it but I had a blast.

i've never watercooled but i have a good mechanical know how and done a moderate amount of reading but the reading was finding out what parts are best. for me it's common sense on how to and why it works.

like i said before the stuff in my shopping cart are all good quality parts, but swap out the apogee GTX for a Dtek Fuzion since he doesn't know how to build the setup, it will cause less problems. you don't have to go for those fans but they have great airflow and are inexpensive.

i've never watercooled but i have a good mechanical know how and done a moderate amount of reading but the reading was finding out what parts are best. for me it's common sense on how to and why it works.

like i said before the stuff in my shopping cart are all good quality parts, but swap out the apogee GTX for a Dtek Fuzion since he doesn't know how to build the setup, it will cause less problems. you don't have to go for those fans but they have great airflow and are inexpensive.

Not a bad cart at all. I can't believe how much prices have gone up.

IMO, drop the res and just do a T-line. That'll save $15.

I still can't believe the ramsinks for the vga are that expensive. Same thing with an $80 D5.

Ahh...no wonder...performance-pcs.com I've never liked them much.

Double check jab-tech.com and petrastechshop.com Those are the two sites I used to buy the setup in my sig (minus the Fuzion).

Good luck.

Swiftech and Petra's kits are good, but they're not really like the kit's we like to bad mouth. Really we should call them bundles to differentiate them ;). They include all the good stuff.

Not a bad cart at all. I can't believe how much prices have gone up.

IMO, drop the res and just do a T-line. That'll save $15.

I still can't believe the ramsinks for the vga are that expensive. Same thing with an $80 D5.

Ahh...no wonder...performance-pcs.com I've never liked them much.

Double check jab-tech.com and petrastechshop.com Those are the two sites I used to buy the setup in my sig (minus the Fuzion).

Good luck.

i know there pricey but i need a place to ship to Canada, and has paypal. xoxide has some better prices on the fans, res, rad, and they have the MCP655-b for the same price as the MCP655 from PP. i still have to check shipping rates and such but i will either order it all from PP or split the products between the two. i wish one of them had the copper top though, even though its an outrageous 40 i might get it.

Swiftech and Petra's kits are good, but they're not really like the kit's we like to bad mouth. Really we should call them bundles to differentiate them ;). They include all the good stuff.

good idea :)

EDIT: jabtech does ship to Canada, in the process of building the same rig.
EDIT2: i was able to get everything accept for the MCW60 so i put in the d tek fuzion GFX to simulate the same weight for shipping and the total shipped was $349.59 USD (i hope :))
with PP it would cost $408.40 for the same thing. so i will for sure look into jabtech over PP. i might even add the copper top and i would still be under, who knows.
with the copper top and currency exchange grand total is 378.64.

Last edited:
^^ ya everything you need, minus water or coolant, it comes with there hydrx stuff if you go distilled water.

He doesn't have a clue how to build one though he was going to buy a kit and have someone build it for him
If he does not feel comfortable doing his own loop, then just get high end air. Don't waste money on kits that are going to cool worse than a $30 heatsink.

If he doesn't want to step up and do it himself, just get air...otherwise you are going to have problems in the future.

If he does not feel comfortable doing his own loop, then just get high end air. Don't waste money on kits that are going to cool worse than a $30 heatsink.

If he doesn't want to step up and do it himself, just get air...otherwise you are going to have problems in the future.

I couldn't agree more.

Watercooling is by its very nature a DIY kind of thing. If he isn't willing to learn it for himself, or have you as a close friend who is willing to babysit it for him, then he should go with high end air.

I installed watercooling into two computers of a friend of mine who does absolutely nothing to maintain his computers and calls me whenever they die on him. He knew I was watercooling and liked the silence, so I hooked him up with two Eheim 1250 pumps on a passive car rad, which was nearly silent. He called me to drain and refill his system and blow out his radiators that he hadn't touched at all in over 6 months. They were totally clogged with dust. Then He left his watercooled systems in his workshop and turned off the air in the middle of summer. He said it was about 120f when he got back and one of the two systems leaked. I had to clean everything up for him and his wife talked him into going back to air, which was just fine for me.

Moral of the story: have him stick to air or be willing to learn it for himself. The first couple of watercooling setups took me quite a while to setup, but now I can plan an entire loop in my head and just put it together.

I just got a Corsair kit from a fella over in the classifieds and it rocks. WAY better than high end air. It's a nice kit though. For the most part kits suck, but you can some nice ones if you look around. The Corsair kit I got was developed with swiftech, so go figure it kicks ace.

If you ARE comfortable doing your own rig but want a kit because of price concerns, then certainly don't let that force you into buying a crappy kit.

If your budget is around 100 dollars

Via Aqua 2300 - 22$
DTek WhiteWater - 25$
Swiftech MCR220 - 45$ - Or a heatercore if your willing to do some brazing - 20$

Toss in fittings and shipping and it still won't be more than $125

Yeah around $400.

I was gunna get a kit, but think now I will get everything on its own?

Are the parts in that kit I posted half decent?

Yeah around $400.

I was gunna get a kit, but think now I will get everything on its own?

Are the parts in that kit I posted half decent?
Yup, those are great parts, just way too much for them ;)

That kit includes a PA120.3 which is the best of the best in radiators. Since you are in the UK, the pricing is going to be different than over here. I would look around and see what you can find that has those components. You may be able to get a PA120.3 over there for way less than it costs on this side of the pond. If there isn't much of a cost difference, then go with the PA120.3. The next best alternative is the Swiftech MCR320 which is a lot cheaper over here.

Back