• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need recommendation for a friend.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Quick question. I have a buddy of mine looking to either buy or build a desktop PC. He primarily uses the pc for internet, email, video conferencing and video editing, clipping and manipulation. He creates PowerPoints for his business and embeds video clips in his PowerPoint slides. He wants to also start using Adobe Premier. Do you know if he would be better off building or buying an out of the box PC? He is not a gamer and not into overclocking, modding, etc. He also doesn't want to spend more than $1k. The HP laptop he has now crashes a lot when he is video editing. A friend of his offered him an Alienware laptop (M18XR2) but he would need to buy a batter for it. I don't think I want to recommend this to him because I believe this model was made in 2012 and it's a laptop, but I don't know anything about Alienware. In your opinions, what would you recommend he buy/do/consider etc?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly if he's using it for work it's probably better going prebuilt, just so he gets that one point of customer support and he doesn't have to be wasting time (or you don't have to be wasting time) trying to troubleshoot issues.

If the most intensive thing he's doing is mild video clip manipulation, he could likely get away with a mid to upper mid range office PC. I5, 16gb ram, 256/500gb ssd and maybe drop in a 7200rpm spinner for bulk video storage.

Last edited:
Honestly if he's using it for work it's probably better going prebuilt, just so he gets that one point of customer support and he doesn't have to be wasting time (or you don't have to be wasting time) trying to troubleshoot issues.

If the most intensive thing he's doing is mild video clip manipulation, he could likely get away with a mid to upper mid range office PC. I5, 16gb ram, 256/500gb ssd and maybe drop in a 7200rpm spinner for bulk video storage.
Thanks! Is there a pre-built brand you would recommend?

Nothing really in particular but I've got a few family members that have been using HP desktops without issue, though if he's having trouble with his current HP laptop I'd understand if he's hesitant to go back to them lol.

I would say try to find the prebuilt that looks the closest to a custom built PC as possible. This way down the road after the warranty expires he can repair and upgrade without pulling too much hair out.

I would say stick with name brand. Unless there is a manufacturer that uses consumer grade components. Like a boutique builder. I would recommend Redux but they are a few hundred over $1,000 budget (they didn't charge me tax) and might have some lead time.

Or buy this with a credit card that will extend the warranty another year. 11400f and 3060 AND in stock.

Back