• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I might get a x38

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maximus Extreme....but it is DDR3

^Rock solid from my expereince.

thats what i was thinking!

are these better then p35 if I decide not to use sli?

Last edited:
OP:

The maximus formula you linked to is a great board, I agree with rattle. I was just getting you to look outside the box. IMHO in about 6-8 months there will be a massive shift to DDR3 by enthusiasts like us....

ok so let me run this buy you :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131227

this goes into my sig,

I have 2 8800 GT on the way from dell I was planning on selling one but I could probally go SLI with my powersupply
I think my sound card would fit in the top pci slot?

would I be good to go ?

I am thinking it would be smarter to sell one of the 8800 gt's since I dont play any games that woud need sli... but then if I do that is a p35 a better choice?

let me know what you think!

Last edited:
if it was me I would get a x38 the only way I would go p35 is to save money on like an abit IP35 pro would save you $100 and if you only have one card well that makes sense also.
Only consideration is the new 45nm's clockability on the p35 V the x38 which is an unknown right now.

ok so let me run this buy you :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109140
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131227

this goes into my sig,

I have 2 8800 GT on the way from dell I was planning on selling one but I could probally go SLI with my powersupply.

I think my sound card would fit in the top pci slot?

would I be good to go ?

I am thinking it would be smarter to sell one of the 8800 gt's since I dont play any games that woud need sli... but then if I do that is a p35 a better choice?

let me know what you think!

X38 is crossfire only, no SLi....sell one of your 8800GT's, you could hold onto it as a back up, or you could use it in a second system down the road when you accumulate enough parts to build a spare rig.

The ultra 120 extreme is excellent air cooler (the best i'm aware of).

I would cancel your order with dell and just a 3870 for cheap and then pick up another later for cross fire

it too late to cancle...:(

:) but both cards are only costing me around 200 usd ea, and come with free overnight shipping cause dell delayed the order, and i QQ'ed to them the right way :p

I already ordered the thermalright cooler and a fan too, but thats compatible, maybe I should sell both 8800GTS and get a 3870 ill have to see how it goes.

Last edited:
i would get the maximus and 2 3870's and sell the gt's, you got them so cheap you can trade them out for 2x3870's and $100 probably lol

So I guess I have some more questions, and I'm looking into it more... I don't want to be too hasty.

1. Will my corsair 620 handle a crossfire set up?
Seriously, I do not need a crosfire level of performance. So I have trouble justifying the energy I would use, and the price a dual video card set up. Still, It would be nice to know if it was a future option with out upgrading my PSU. I would consider this a potential plus.

2. Is the X38 pci-e 2.0 worth the upgrade if I am just going to run one 8800GT for a while, or should I stick to my p5b dlx if I plan on running one 8800GT?
In order to make the decision to buy the maximus I guess this is the most important question, for me. I would also plan to sell my old p5b-dlx, I have everything that came with it including the original package, to lessen the the cost of the upgrade. Is it worth the trouble* of upgrading?

*by trouble I mean fun of course :p

Last edited:
I do plan on getting a 45nm quad at some point is it safe to say that the x38 is a much better board for that cpu?

I'm guessing for the speeds you are looking at, P35 would do it just as well. Deanzo has his 9650 on an IP35 and it's doing very well. :)

Back