• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Enermax PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippo

Registered
Are these good?
I need a bigger PSU and I am thinking of 350W 5V has 32A ans 3,3V has 32A too combined power is 185W
Will this help my O/C:ing probs, it reboots when I want to write on my floppy disk. Now I am only running with 1 HD and prob. solved.

Enermax makes good PSUs. For your setup, I would go with a 400W unit though. That leaves a little room for the future. FWIW, if you do the math, (5x32=160) + (3.3x32=106) = 266W. With a 185W maximum combined power for those two outputs, you obviously won't be able to get the maximum current from them at the same time. Luckily, the 3.3V current draw is a lot lower than 32A.
If you're truly strapped for the difference in price between the 350 and 400W units, the 350W unit will run your setup.

73, Hoot

Thank you I will keep that in mind.

Btw. how much does the 3,3V draw?
I read somewhere that a T-bird 1,4 makes about 140W of heat.

I've just bought a new Dragon+ (not running yet) and have a case with a preinstalled 300W PSU. I'm considering buying a larger PSU (350/431/550W Enermax) to put in the case and wonder if you have any recommendations for how big I need?

I will soon be running
Dragon+
512Mb PC2100 Crucial
2xIBM ATA 100 7200 40GB running RAID
3rd ATA66 8Gb for back up
24x AOpen CDRW
Voodoo3
XP1700/Thermalright heatsink

And later plan to use
DVD player
Overclock to XP2000 if I can
DVD Burner (much later when price comes down :) )

Any ideas on the maths for the calculating what I need?

Thanks

I got a 300W generic PSU too, it puts 30A on the 5V line. Max combined is like 180W, and it is WAY not enough. My question is, if I buy the Enermax 431, will that do it? I hear it only is specified with 220W combined power. Is that a enermax quality attitude, producing a 500W PSU, writing 400W on it and sell it for the price equal to a 600W PSU?

If that 220W combined of the 431 is the end of the line, I really consider going with the 550W piece that puts 300W combined :eek:

Now tell me either
-NONONO dont waste so much money for an additional specified 80W because the 220W is just a fantasy number and the Enermax 431 in fact puts like 250W and they only write it on it for stupid quality underlining
-Yes the Enermax 431 wont have enough power for your system that has neither a water cooler or a peltier installed, if you want to go REALLY high with proc / FSB speeds... And that I should go with the 550

I would not recommend an enermax - no warranty and they suffer from very poor 5V and 12V regulation. 5V as low as 4.5V is not uncommon. If you want a good PSU get an Antec 400W.

I disagree!
My Enermax works perfectly. 5V is at 5.07/4.95 idle/load. My 12V is a little high, but that never hurt. Also, I'm using the Epox board that started all the trouble, on other board it works even better.

Otherwise, warranty is usually given from the store here in Norway, so that's not a problem. And if the PSU stops working because of errors in design/production I'm sure you can return it to Enermax.

But, I haven't used other brands, other then the one that came with some Aopen case, so I really can't say Enermax are better then "brand x" PSU's. I'm happy with it, thats all.

ButcherUK said:
I would not recommend an enermax - no warranty and they suffer from very poor 5V and 12V regulation. 5V as low as 4.5V is not uncommon. If you want a good PSU get an Antec 400W.

yes i also disagree... this was true in the older models but the problems has been resolved in the newer whispers. :D

Enermax user here & totally happy with mine. All you have to do is check it with the same MoBo & CPU as yours during load with a multitester to see if you get a healthy one.

Did Enermax release a Official Statement regarding the 5V issue that some people have been experiencing? To say they have fixed this issue with the newer model/current range without this would be misleading. The production tolerance on voltages are ±.25V so if it reads 4.75V they will be within spec. Let us not speculate about this. Test it before you buy it .

Take a look at my load voltages;

So Antec is better?
But where do I get them?
How are they in prize?

if you want an antec, go to pricewatch, and look under the Powe Supply link....then to 400 watt...its all on there, with the best prices....i recommend going to www.bestbyte.net and get then EG465P-VE psu, its $80, but it comes with a two year warranty....the box is blue, so make sure you get that one, and not the one in the pink box...

Back