• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! 4gigs of Mixed RAms only shows 3gigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brown_dog

Registered
Recently purchased 2gb crucial Ballistix DDR800 RAMs in addition to my 2gigs Team Xtreem Dual Darks.

My motherboard is DFI Infinity Dark P965.

Originally I have Installed the 2 gigs of Team Xtreem in the ddr slot 1 and 3 for dual channel config. Without any problems at all 2gigs detected and correct cas latancies.

This time when I added the Crucial on ddr slot 2 and 4 the BIOS only recognizes the 2 crucial rams and my single 1gig Team Xtreem rams. SUpposedly it should show as 4 gigs it only shows 3 gigs.?? The other pair of my xtreem rams gigs is completely unrecognized by the BIOS.

The odd thing here is when I
Checked the CPU-Z Crucial ballistix shows in DDR slot 1 and 3. When physically its placed in slot 2 and 4.

while my team xtreem ram is in slot 2 in cpuz when it is actually physically placed in first and third slot. while the fourth slot is completely empty in CPUZ which is physically third slot.

Is this an incompatibiliy between two different pairs of module or just needs to set something in BIOS please Heeeeelp! :bang head

Yeah I got over that issue before.
I have Vista 64bits. Before I hade Xtreem 1x4 gigs it was recognized by vista 64bits no problem at all.
And this was done on my MSI P35 Neo F which I already sold

I sold the other pair of the 4 gigs which only left me 2 gigs of xtreem rams left. Now when I added the 2 gigs crucial the BIOS will only detect 3 gigs the other pair XTreem ram is completely missing in the BIOS.
I'm currently using WIndows Vista 64bits ultimate.

@JamesXP
Thanks for your concern. But I think this is not an issue with windows not recognizing the 4gigs. I think it has something to do with BIOS settings or mixed ram incompatibilities. Any suggestions would greatly help. :)

And oh ALready reset the Cmos no avail.

Last edited:
I'd try swapping sticks 1,3 with 2,4 and see if you still have the problem. I just installed Vistax64, and I love it so far. Very few issues--much better than the first time I installed Xp Pro. I have 8gb of ram, and my apps are very fat and happy.

@dpic:
already tried it no changes thats the first thing I suspected.

Just wanna ask is your 8gb corsair 2X4 are those 4 same exact modules? Because I'm suspecting on my end its incompatible if you put different brands.

Well, hard to give a straight answer considering you have mismatched ram which has always been something I have been told you should not do. They don't have to be four identically matched pairs, but close in date and at least the same kind. I think that may really be your problem.

@demonR6:
Well, hard to give a straight answer considering you have mismatched ram which has always been something I have been told you should not do. They don't have to be four identically matched pairs, but close in date and at least the same kind. I think that may really be your problem.

Here is the config I have a paired 2x1gigs team xtreem and a pair of 2x1gigs Crucial Balistix

Try looking for a "memory remapping" setting in your BIOS. It should be enabled.
Yes its definatly in the BIOS but i don't have such settings in my DFI board. Maybe I will have to replace my xtreem with another 2x1 gigs of crucial. SO that all four are the same.

Well never mind I have solved this problem. I hope.

Actually had to reseat these rams a number of times. actually did detect the 4gigs after intensive reseating have to put a thin layer of liquid Wd40 on the ram slots and on the ram contacts.

My fingers got bruised reseating those rams and it did finally detect the 4 gigs.
Well DFI although a great Overclocking motherboard actually have very crappy dimm slots. I hevent have this kind of problem with my MSI before. DFIs dim slots is like an old nes cartrtidge where you have to insert hundreds of times before the contacts work.
Hehe.. THanks for the reply

@dpic:
already tried it no changes thats the first thing I suspected.

Just wanna ask is your 8gb corsair 2X4 are those 4 same exact modules? Because I'm suspecting on my end its incompatible if you put different brands.
Sorry it took so long to get back. But, yes, they are the exact same modules. Ordered them at the same time, and they haven't been an issue.

The problem is the ram itself not the slots. My system keeps on freezing up during gaming. found out I have a stick of bad ram its the xtreem team 1 of the 2 gigs I suspect. Take out both 2 gigs of xtreem rams. Now my system never freezes.
Sory for the mis info.

Back