• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know when to raise MCH, ICH, etc, etc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davidinnc

In my Abit IP35-Pro bios I can change:

vcore
ddr voltage
CPU VTT
MCH
ICH
ICHIO
DDR Ref (%)
CPU GTLREF 0&2 (%)
CPU GTLREF 1&3 (%)

The 1st 2 are obviously the biggest levers to play with but how do I know when/if to change the others? I've seen a number of things written especially about the MCH (and a little on the ICH) but can't find anything that outlines when to change them and what they allow me to do.

For example, right now I can't get my FSB past about 480. If I increased the MCH (and/or ICH??) can I try to go higher? How do I know if I've gone too high with the MCH, ICH, etc? What is the best way to use MCH/ICH when overclocking? Should I max FSB, raise MCH slightly, try to raise FSB again, rinse/repeat?

Thanks!

its kinda by feel... thats the best way i can put it...
normally this is the way i do it... if you have upped the cpu voltage and its still unstable. it could then need more ddr2 voltage, if that doesnt effect anything. then up the MCH voltage as well you can also try upping the CPUVTT. like if you already upped the NB one notch and running into some issue, try the CPUVTT. MCH voltage you select directly relates to the CPUVTT you can select in bios. CPUGTL should only be changed if ocing a quad core. ddr referernce shouldnt be changed, i never needed to mess it... ICH/ICHIO in ocing really only need to moved up one notch.

if you increase MCH but not CPUVTT, up CPUVTT. you may actually find you dont need that much MCH-V once you start upping your CPUVTT.

Back