• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new loop- slightly original

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goog`

I've wanted to do water cooling for a few years now mostly because it looks really cool but I've been held back by the cost. Last week I came across an old heater core and submersible pond pump and i knew what i had to do. I did a little bit of research and decided that I should get a apogee gt on the biases or price, availability and performance.
I set up the loop and checked for leaks and the heater core was as watertight as Dianna Ross's fro so i tried running some rad sealer through it- still leaked, so i threw it in the tub with the pump.
my first loop was pump->block->tub and i placed the rad in their to kind of use as a heat sink for the water thinking that the 10l of water i had would keep the temp down and the higher water flow do to the lack of rad would make the temps even lower. After 10 min the temp of the cpu started to climb so i threw the rad into the loop giving me
pump->block->rad->tub
Before water cooling with a modified dual fan arctic cooling freezer 7(?) my temps at 3.2 ghz with my e6400 would run to about 65c under load going up to 68c now, with one easy water treatment, I'm running at 49c under load +/-3 degrees. Not a huge improvement but i spent a total of 60$ on this little project

Attachments

• 3810511489.jpg
    3810511489.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 242
  • current.jpg
    current.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 243
Shweet! A smart man always saves money. And very very Ghetto, we don't care if it's pretty, we care if it works. Love the use of a drawer to hold the water, very umm yea thats it!

What are the high temps due to, poor flow rate, poor heat sink mounting or just the ambient temperature?

Thats still about a 15C reduction is fantastic. Your main problem is this. The rad can not cool the water back down to room temp. The recycled water is slowing getting warmed up. Hey for some fun, dump a bunch of ice in there and salt. Watch your temps plummet:santa: Just watch for condensation.

Thats still about a 15C reduction is fantastic. Your main problem is this. The rad can not cool the water back down to room temp. The recycled water is slowing getting warmed up. Hey for some fun, dump a bunch of ice in there and salt. Watch your temps plummet:santa: Just watch for condensation.

Ice yes, salt no.

If something is leaking I'd rather not have salt running inside my loop.

BTW, grats on the awesome setup. Sometimes I wish I was into watercooling when it was all homegrown. Its so commercialized now that almost all the fun has been taken away.

Ice yes, salt no.

If something is leaking I'd rather not have salt running inside my loop.

BTW, grats on the awesome setup. Sometimes I wish I was into watercooling when it was all homegrown. Its so commercialized now that almost all the fun has been taken away.
I forgot he had an opened system. If it was a closed loop, he could dunk the rad in an Ice bath and use some salt to hold the ice together.

If you have $20, call up some auto parts stores, and see who's got a Fedco 302 (77' bonny heater core).

You have nothing to actually cool the water. Yo uare just dumping heat into the water. You might as well not even use the radiator in that setup. You basically have a bong, without evaporator tower.

If you have $20, call up some auto parts stores, and see who's got a Fedco 302 (77' bonny heater core).

You have nothing to actually cool the water. Yo uare just dumping heat into the water. You might as well not even use the radiator in that setup. You basically have a bong, without evaporator tower.
Jas do you have the part number for the dual pass with one barb at the top and one at the bottom?

try suspending the rad above the res, plonk a fan on top and it should be quite effective. The rad leaks so a small amount of that will evaporate and the rest will drip into the res. I think that may be quite effective but I don't really know about these sorts of things.

try suspending the rad above the res, plonk a fan on top and it should be quite effective. The rad leaks so a small amount of that will evaporate and the rest will drip into the res. I think that may be quite effective but I don't really know about these sorts of things.

Not a bad idea.

TO OC:

Part number for a dual pass with barb at top and barb at bottom? Not Sure I follow you. Do you mean a single pass radiator?

Thats ridiculous. I used a heater core very similar to the one he is using and it worked VERRY well. Can you please explain to me why his heater core isn't doing anything? I say use a 120MM fan, about 3" away from the heater core and using cardboard to make a shroud. BTW: Plumber's goop is like the water cooler's duct tape. It can fix your leak and if you have a bit more time, solder works best.

Last edited:
it is because he is dumping heat into that tank of water and the water in the tank has no way of dissipating heat if he would take the heater core out of the water then he would be a'ok!

He has the heater core submersed in the coolant. He's using the coolant giong through the core, to cool the core which is counter productive.

In the first pic, he has no fan attached, In that setup he might as well run without the radiator.

In the second pic, he has a single fan attached, providing some cooling, but he still has much of the radiator submerged in his coolant, which is counter intuitive.

Oh, and as far a sa part numbe,r there are a handful of SINGLE PASS fedco heatcores, but here check this out, for parts number for a full line of heatercores

Uhh no. A system with only a CPU and pump will die. On some processors, a system with a rad (and no fans), CPU and pump can still keep the processor under 100F. What makes you think that a fanless radiator would do nothing??

It's Submerged.

He also has quite a large amount of coolant to dump the heat into. I'm not saying he SHOULD go without a radiator, I'm saying that putting the radiator in the coolant is about as effective as NOT using a radiator with that much coolant.
Water is not only a great Thermal Conductor, but it is also a great thermal capacitor. It will "store" quite a bit of heat.

I would imagine it would only take a few seconds for the core to be removed from the water and it would improve temps. If thats your point then I agree.
In the first pic, he has no fan attached, In that setup he might as well run without the radiator.
^^ Thats what I was referring to.

Yes. He needs to take that radiator out of the coolant. If it's a leaky rad, it's useless, he can buy a new heatrcore for cheap.

Back