• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first wc setup with some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stocki

Registered
Hi there,

I decided to spend some money on my computer and because I wanted a wc for a long time, I am going to order one in a few days.

One reason is that every time i go to bed I am afraid my cpu cooler will just fall down on my geforce, because it is a bit heavy.:-/ See attachment.

Anyway, here is the list for my new wc setup(rig in sig) :)

1* HW Labs Black Ice GT Xtreme 360
1* Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
1* Swiftech MCW60™ Graphics Card Liquid Cooler - Retail
1* Swiftech MC8800 SMC Cooling Kit
1* Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Water-block
1* D-TEK FuZion CPU Waterblock/775 Pro Mount Combo - 1/2"
1* Swiftech MCRES-MICRO™ Reservoir
20* 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing
4* 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12 Case Fan - Black (88 CFM, 40 dBA)
1* Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound

So the questions are:

1. is this a decent setup and will all the components work together well?

2. I am not sure about the fans. Is the yate loon ok or can I go with something "more silent".

3. Do I have to use a backplate for the fuzion or can I just use the pro mount combo that comes with the waterblock and i am good to go?

Any input greatly appreciated.:beer:

Attachments

• tower112.jpg
    tower112.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 105
Those components are a nice selection. If you're looking for quiet, though, you might consider a different rad. The PA 120.3 is the best for slower fans (and also the most expensive). The MCR320 is also very good for low-speed fans, doesn't cost an arm & a leg, and well get you close to the PA for performance.

Yates are the favorite around here, especially if you get a rheostat-type fan controller for them (IMO - PWM units often create extra noise). The Scythe S-Flex "E" or "F" are also a very good choices and won't need a fan controller - they're both very quiet fans and have a good track record. The "F" is the faster and is about as loud as a normal HDD spin-up. As far as I've been able to tell, fans with fluid-dynamic bearings (like the S-Flex) are very quiet compared to their performance and have a long life. They're more expensive, though, which is why Yates often get the thumps-up. But once you factor in the cost of the fan controller the Yates aren't as cheap as they look.
BTW - If you're looking for quiet 2 fans and a good 2" shroud are as good or better than 4 fans with no shroud. And even with 4 fans and two shrouds you won't get much extra performance over 2 fans and a 2" shroud.

I can't tell you for sure about the D-tek back-plate but I hope it's enough - that's what I just ordered. I guess we'll both anxiously wait for that answer ... :)

Last edited:
thanks for your suggestions

I will think about the mcr320 + Scythe S-Flex combo.
If there is not much performance difference, than there could be some money saved.:beer:
Even if noise is not really a concern to me.

Also I do not want to buy a separate fan controller.
I had one some years ago, but it had like 1000 wires and it did not help much.:confused:
Or is a rheostat-type controller something different than a "normal" fan controller?

I also have a backplate from my current cpu cooler i could use, in case the pro mount from the fuzion does not help:)

Solid stuff. Only thing that could be better is the rad. I used the FuZion pro backplate, it worked very well. I also got the washer and used a 5.5 nozzle for the FuZion.

Great temps, quiet, good flow and pressure using Martins flow calculator.

Don't forget the biocide.

Also I do not want to buy a separate fan controller.
I had one some years ago, but it had like 1000 wires and it did not help much.:confused:
Or is a rheostat-type controller something different than a "normal" fan controller?
Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998808

I've got one of these controlling a couple of monster Delta's (140 CFM). Even they get pretty quiet near their start point of 4v ... ;)

Thanks for the link
But all these wires...i already have some wire management problems in my rig:beer: i took a picture for you:eek: But i will work that out when i install the wc...i promise:santa:

links:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/stocki7767/456.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/stocki7767/DCP_0776.jpg

so i think i will go with the mcr320 and the scythe fans
I hope they can handle cpu+gpu+nb

About the reminder of Conumdrum:
Do I really need biocide? I mean its just a couple of bucks, but if the whole setup would be inside the case without any (sun)light, then there would be no need for it, would it?
But I still do not know how to fit the setup inside my case. But that will work out:)

and btw: some 140cfm deltas are nice but i think my cat would freak out or something like that
but with 4v it may be decent

Just a quick question - do you have any LEDs? Algae loves blue and red light. And some light will get in regardless, through the rear fan if nothing else. The iodine is easy to come by, most people have it in their bathroom medical kit. Takes 8 drops for a gallon of water.

And maybe you'll never have problems if you don't use algaecide (from aquarium sellers) but what if ...? Algae is almost impossible to completely remove - at the very least you'd have to replace the tubing and clean all your components with vinegar and/or soap & toothbrush where you can reach. IMO it's cheap insurance for your loop components.

But we're all adults here - your money, your call. I did without it for the first year and never had a problem ... :)

i do not have any leds lights or some shiny stuff in my pc
but nevertheless it might be a good idea to add some biocide to the loop.
I will just order some with my wc stuff or drop by at my local pet store:beer:

and cleaning things with a toothbrush...no thank you:santa:
sounds like a lot of work to me. :D

can I just use any biocide or are there some products to stay away from?
I just want to be on the safe side not to put some crap into my loop

thanks
i will order my parts from petras anyway, so I will pickup that biocide too:beer:

Back