• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a better block for a C2D P4 and a quad core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

whats a better block for a C2D P4 and a quad core?
I have a:

Swiftech Storm G4 (older G4 almost like this one http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=90&pg=1)

Danger Den Copper TDX http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=21&cat=17&page=1

a Swiftech Apogee GT. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835108093

so im thinking on the quad core the GT is the best and for a P4 the DD TDX and a C2D the G4.
or would it be better to use the G4 on the P4 and the TDX on the C2D.

and how would the G4 work over the GT on the quad core?

thanks u all kick ***!

I started out my WC adventure using the TDX on a Prescott. I was not all that happy with it as far as mounting stability and my temps (at that time I did not know that the prescott was the hottest intel chip there was). To me, it was capable of being mounted crooked, in other words, not laying flat on the cpu if you didnt pay clost attention to how you tightened it.
I finally ended up getting an Apogee GTX. I fell in love with the way it mounted instantly. It was a more solid secure mount in my opinion and made me feel alot better, plus you cannot over tighten it. My temps actually dropped considerably which totally sold me on this block. I now have one on both of my setups.
I am running a Q6600 quad and my idle temps with the GTX are never higher than 20c. My load temps have yet to reach 50c, 48 being the highest I have seen so far, but thats just playing around with it and not doing a full overnight load test to find my real load temps. Also keep in mind that the CPU has its own loop with its own PA120.3 rad.
This is just my observations. Others have had good results with the TDX. The G4 I have no exp. with. Apogee is the only way to go IMHO, no matter what CPU you get. I truely love this block.

i had the TDX on a P4 630 OCed way over 4Ghz (like up to 4.5Ghz i think) and never hit above 50C.

im not sure what would best fit the P4 the best for the timing being. when the C2D come then i could switch it out if the TDX would be a better fit and the storm being a better fit for the time on the P4.

thanks for the input so far.

I'd put the Storm on the C2D and the TDX on the P4. The Storm is a much better design, and while it's been maligned as of late in comparison to contemporary blocks because of it's poorer performance on IHS CPUs, it is still a better block than the TDX.

i ran the TDX on the P4 with 1.6V (truly bout 1.48-1.50 with drop and droop) and i dont think temps ever hit above 50C. now if u see the storm running better then the TDX on both chips thats what ill do. just hate to drain the system.

Back