• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I really need to upgrade my block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phat korean

Registered
So, i went to MicroCenter and got a smoking deal on an 8700k with Mobo and Ram. Came out to $30 more than what i had planned to get with the 2700x. Anyways, I currently am using a custom loop with a Swiftech Apogee GTZ. Is there a need for me to upgrade to something newer? I know this block is almost 10 y/o, but have block become that much better?

from what I understand in waterblock improvements the last few years is that the temperature gains are minimal and usually they just optimize a waterblock for a specefic line of CPU. Another important thing to note is ofcourse the socket brackets that you might not have with the old CPU block without going DIY and last but not least is ofcourse aesthetics.

from what I understand in waterblock improvements the last few years is that the temperature gains are minimal and usually they just optimize a waterblock for a specefic line of CPU. Another important thing to note is ofcourse the socket brackets that you might not have with the old CPU block without going DIY and last but not least is ofcourse aesthetics.

The GTZ was made for the 775 and it fits the 1150. My hope is for it to fit the 1151, but you are right it may not. If it doesnt, then I'll have to buy one but if it does and it may only shave a few C off, i think I'd be fine with what I'm using now. I'm not chasing any world records. I just want some stable OC.

I would upgrade. What you want to look for all depends on your budget. Some blocks to look out for are from companies like EK, XSPC, Aquacomputer, Swiftech, Heatkiller and there's probably a few more I can't think of atm. Most go with EK and some go with XSPC for budgeted reason but again, that's all up to you.

just make sure that the cold plate pins arent gummed up or showing any signs of corrosion before you remount it. personally i would go ahead and get a modern block. no muss no fuss. guaranteed to drop temps AND work with your cpu seamlessly. i just dont like the thought of the socket 775 optimized gtz mounting system possibly causing issues with your new hexa core hotrod.

The GTZ was made for the 775 and it fits the 1150. My hope is for it to fit the 1151, but you are right it may not. If it doesnt, then I'll have to buy one but if it does and it may only shave a few C off, i think I'd be fine with what I'm using now. I'm not chasing any world records. I just want some stable OC.

If it fits the 1150 it will fit the 1151, I only suggest opening it up and cleaning inside, it will be just fine IMO.

Ketchup works great cleaning copper, and the little packets from fast food seem to work better than refrigerated.

i would update , it was almost like 10c going from ek supreme (few year old ) to the new ek supermercy evo , the design almost look the same but there is big difference on temp . You can always use your block for now if you are tight on money then update it later .

I'm going clean my existing block and then see how the temps are. I may end up getting a new one next year if it doesnt do better than my hyper 212.

If a block isn't performing better than a budgeted air cooled 212, something is either wrong with the block or loop in general.

After I cleaned my block I developed a pretty significant leak. Seems like the old gasket went bad as all 4 screw holes started to leak. Put some rtv sealant on the block arou d the edges and on the screws. This will have to work for now until I save up for a new block. I don't know if it will start leaking again, but I also do t want to take that chance either.

Yeah I wouldn't take the chance either if the original gasket doesn't seal it properly. Not worth the risk imo.

After I cleaned my block I developed a pretty significant leak. Seems like the old gasket went bad as all 4 screw holes started to leak. Put some rtv sealant on the block arou d the edges and on the screws. This will have to work for now until I save up for a new block. I don't know if it will start leaking again, but I also do t want to take that chance either.

Sealant on the outside is only a temporary solution and will not last!

If we're talking a rubber o-ring type of seal get some marine grade silicon sealant preferably clear, take the block back apart and clean the seal groove thoroughly with a Q-Tip and make sure there are no particulates left behind in the groove, now clean the rubber gasket using rubbing alcohol, preferably 91% and let it dry. (be careful not to stretch the gasket clean it gently)

Put a fine bead of the Silicon Sealant in the groove and also coat the rubber gasket with the sealant, (it's best to use the surgical type of thin latex gloves to keep the silicon off your fingers), now press the gasket into the groove and what it pushes out smooth over the top of the gasket using just enough for a smooth coating over the rubber gasket no excess. (The alcohol has a rejuvenating effect to rubber, plus the silicon seals any cuts or gaps in the rubber seal) Now reassemble the water block and snug the screws and wait overnight for the silicon to cure, and you should not have any leaks at all.

Back