• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling stuffs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bbq

Hey folks,

I can use auto coolant/anti-freeze for my looping?
do you know if Walmart/Target carry distilled water or any local store i can get distilled h2o and biocide/algae killer?

I have hydor l35 pump with 1/2" barb but i don't know what kind of "G". Now I want to use 3/8" barb so what barbs should i buy? again, i don't know the G.

I don't know if it's a right one
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22622

Thanks people

Last edited:
Yes you can use anti-freeze for your loop, but just a little bit mixed with the distilled water. You can usually get distilled water in pharmacies like Rite aid or CVS.

I went to CVS asked for biocide or anti-algae the pharmacist had no clue. i went to micro-center they have Zerex so i got the Zerex coolant instead

I went to CVS asked for biocide or anti-algae the pharmacist had no clue. i went to micro-center they have Zerex so i got the Zerex coolant instead

I mentioned you could get distilled water at CVS, not the biocide :)

In any event, you will want to mix a little of the Zerex with the distilled water. For a full gallon of distilled water, little less than a shotglass amount of Zerex.

you can find distilled water at any foodstore .

I have never found it in a grocery store.

Never found any in A&P, Shoprite or Stop N SHop.. Always have to go to CVS or Riteaid for it.

I mentioned you could get distilled water at CVS, not the biocide :)

In any event, you will want to mix a little of the Zerex with the distilled water. For a full gallon of distilled water, little less than a shotglass amount of Zerex.

I have never found it in a grocery store.

yeah, i got distilled h2o at CVS around 2 bucks for 2 gallons
So if i use zerex i don't have to use biocide or anti-algae?

yeah, i got distilled h2o at CVS around 2 bucks for 2 gallons
So if i use zerex i don't have to use biocide or anti-algae?

I do not think Zerex has a biocide in it. Think its only a coolant, so its anti corrosive. You can add a few drops of iodine, that should keep algae in check. One thing though, if you are going to mix the zerex and iodine, i would do a test first to make sure they dont have an kind of weird reaction.

So i can use either biocide or algae killer with distilled water right? i'll mix and test those things if any explosion lol

what you want is mostly distilled water with a tad bit of some kind of algae killer and a small amount of anti-corrosive.

Ideally you would want to have an additive that has both ani-corrosion and biocide in it. However the Zerex with some iodine should work fine.

Doubt it would explode heh, but you never know what kind of reaction you might get mixing the two.

I personally use this mixed with distilled water.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=309_3223&action=product

Good performance and I like the purple color. Also doesnt smell as bad as anti-freeze.

Dont think it has biocide in it though, but never had any algae blooms while using it, with the exception of once when I added a reactive dye to the loop. That caused a serious problem :)

Hey folks,

I can use auto coolant/anti-freeze for my looping?
do you know if Walmart/Target carry distilled water or any local store i can get distilled h2o and biocide/algae killer?

I have hydor l35 pump with 1/2" barb but i don't know what kind of "G". Now I want to use 3/8" barb so what barbs should i buy? again, i don't know the G.

I don't know if it's a right one
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22622

Thanks people

You can get distilled water from walmart. that is where i got my distilled water for like $0.77 so i would go to walmart and ask someone.

Back