• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does flow rate of water blocks matter in a water cooling loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karcar549

Registered
I want a waterblock for my loop.Does flow rate of the waterblocks matter?i will be using 3/8 inch id 5/8 inch od tubing and 2 480mm radiators and a gpu block and a phobya balancer 250 reservoir and an mcp655 pump.

The lower flow block:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._info&cPath=59_971_498_1176&products_id=36091

The Higher flow block:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36055

Which one should i buy? the phobya block has a low flow rate of 146 and the koolance 380i has a higher flow rate of 181 so which one should i buy?

...Does flow rate of the waterblocks matter?

In most systems with today's pumps, it really doesn't effect the flow much. Just keep in mind that your system should flow, at a minimum 1 ~ 2gph to be effective.

There are several sites that have the actual restrictions listed for various rads, waterblocks, fittings etc, and my favorite is Martins Liquid Lab

Hope this helps.

As long as the flow rate is 1.0 GPH to 1.5 GPH you should be good. I believe 2.0 GPH is diminishing returns and isn't needed if I recall correctly.

As long as the flow rate is 1.0 GPH to 1.5 GPH you should be good. I believe 2.0 GPH is diminishing returns and isn't needed if I recall correctly.

I consider it the top end of the scale also...only adds noise in my opinion.

Correct (according to Martin's labs). After 1.5GPM it is diminishing returns. More than that is more pump noise, LOL!

can an mcp655 handle this loop:
1.Phobya UC-1 extreme brass water block
2. 2 nexxxos quad 120mm xt45 radiators
3.phobya balancer 250 reservoir
4.Ek gtx 780 ti water block

can an mcp655 handle this loop:
1.Phobya UC-1 extreme brass water block
2. 2 nexxxos quad 120mm xt45 radiators
3.phobya balancer 250 reservoir
4.Ek gtx 780 ti water block

The newer mcp-35x is probably more efficient in this build as it will also throttle back when not being hammered.

Back