• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to look for in a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strangelove

Hi there, I need a bigger PSU (running a Dual PIII with lots of HD on a 250W PSU). Everybody seems to agree on the fact that Enermax is the thing to get, only thing is that they are also the most expensive, 100$ + for a 400W PSU. Are there any good 400W PSU's that are closer to 50$ that are worth getting? What are the major differences between a really good PSU and a really bad one? An obvious question but I'd like to hear people’s opinion :)

Thanks

Dr. Strangelove

Here is a simple Litmus test on a 400W PSU. Look at the Specifications and see what the combined 5V+3.3V wattage is. If it is less than 245W, then it is not a 400W PSU worth having. If they dont have the Specifications on the box, demand that a clerk open it so you can see them. FWIW, on a 300W PSU, look for a combined 5V+3.3V wattage of 180W. I have seen P.O.S. 400W PSUs with only 185W combined 5V+3.3V !

73, Hoot

I am certain that Hoot is the most informed PSU expert ever!

BTW, where are you from in the Twin Cities?

Hoot is 100% right. And buying an Enermax just because everyone else is can be the wrong thing to do. Up until recently Enermax had no warranty on their power supplies, and people that had Enermax PSU's blow up and take motherboard and chips with them, were left in the cold.

There are better, cheaper makers of PSU's out there than Enermax.

Shop around.

Personally, I like the Leadman PowMax 500W. 250W combined output and 50A on the 5V line. Got one for under $72 shipped and it's a powerhouse.

I'll admit it's not well known and is admittedly generic but it is a very solid PSU. Dual fans with fan control (best to leave it off as for some reason it doesn't slow down the fans when plugged into a header).

Got mine from WeBuildPCs who don't have the best of ResellerRatings marks but my experience was fine. Got this to power the dual AMD rig I should have finished over the next couple of weeks but worked fine in the VP6 I tested it on.

Hoot, so what you basically say is that an Enermax PSU is not worth getting

- Enermax 431W piece has only 220Ws of combined power
- Its by far the most expensive Power supply you can get
- There are other PSUs that do the same for far less $$$

Hmm I just ordered one 2 days ago. Damn it

I am certain that Hoot is the most informed PSU expert ever!

Not true. If I were an expert at PC PSUs I would have used many different brands. This is not the case, but I have worked with switching supplies et al, which PC PSUs are a subset of, for 20 years.

BTW, where are you from in the Twin Cities?

I lived in Minneapolis for 20 years, now I live on the west end of Hennepin county.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I like the Leadman PowMax 500W. 250W combined output and 50A on the 5V line. Got one for under $72 shipped and it's a powerhouse.

Man, that is one powerful package for under $72 shipped. If it delivers per spec, I'd venture that it is the best value out there for someone who needs that kind of power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoot, so what you basically say is that an Enermax PSU is not worth getting

- Enermax 431W piece has only 220Ws of combined power
- Its by far the most expensive Power supply you can get
- There are other PSUs that do the same for far less $$$

The Enermax PSUs are good PSUs. If they were not, I think their number of satisfied owners would not be as high as it is. That's not to say you can't do better for the same of less money. I don't know how much they cost, compared to an Antec PSU, but if they cost the same or more, then they are not as good a deal. There is nothing wrong with paying for performance. What is wrong is paying more for less performance than you can get. A little research goes a long way. Don't dismay over your purchase. I'm sure your Enermax will serve you well.

73, Hoot

nick_cw said:
I have $65 (I live in the UK) and I was wondering can I get a PSU of 400Watt or over with a good 5V line?

Thanks

Let me know what you find out. I have been trying to find the same thing here in Denmark but have not been successfull and think I have to get it from the UK as well.

Thanks

Dr. Strangelove

[EDIT] YES!!!! Have a friend that is going to the US, he will bring me back the Leadman 500W PSU!! Lucky me:D

Last edited:
Back