• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whats the benefits of staying with ddr2?
Also whats the difference between x38 and x48? is it worth paying more for a x48 for gaming?

DDR2 is a ton cheaper than DDR3 with 95%(or better) of the performance. X48 is more or less a cherry picked X38. From what I have seen the difference is minimal other than X48 is DDR3 only.

doesnt matter what board you get for gaming.. it doesnt affect your FPS liks cpu speed or e the video card. if you want PCIE 2.0 support the new P45's came out. the Asus P5Q-pro and DLX boards if you got some money to spend. X48 is suppose to be higher binned X38 chipsets for ocing, but to find the max you would need extreme cooling. On air/water cooling you be cpu heat limited before the you hit the boards limit for ocing, that is if you do oc.

DDR3 is still to costly for some to consider since 4gigs of ddr2 is so cheap. for a good 2gig kit of ddr3 is what i paid for a good 2gig kit of ddr2-800 cas4 ram last year, so i dont see the problem.

Get the mobo with the most lights on it I guess for gaming. I always here about gaming cases but gaming mobo is new to me.

Only thing I could think of when I hear gaming motherboard is a CF or SLI capable board. Other than that, it comes down to quality and feature set, which aren't really gaming oriented. If had some more money to put toward RAM, I would go with DDR3; if not, DDR2 can be had very cheaply now.

The ROG(Republic of Gamers) boards from ASUS are definitely geared towards gamers and enthusiasts. As a gamer myself I would have to lean towards the ROG line from ASUS, currently the Rampage Formula is a pretty good board both for overclocking and features.

ddr ddr2 and ddr3 are all basicly the same in terms of performance. they just each require a different type of slot to plug into. they just jump in speeds of 400 per line.

ddr goes up to 400
ddr2 goes up to 800
ddr3 goes up to 1200.
ddr4 goes up to 1600
ddr5 goes up to 2000.

so when you see videocards with ddr4 or ddr5 you can assume ddr4 has memory speeds between 1200-1600 and ddr5 has them between 1600-2000. anything running faster than those are running out of spec.

so ddr2-1200 is basicly just high end ddr2-800 that is tested to run at those speeds. kinda.

however as the speed ramps up so do the length of the latencies of the timings. making the performance increase very minimal if not worse.

for instance all of these have the exact same performance. (ignoring the possible (AL) for DDR2, and i havnt looked up DDR3 (AL) so im not sure if it has any ) "The additional latency (AL) is usually found on the memory module technical specs (usually a PDF file for downloading on the manufacturer website)."

ddr-400 running 2-2-2-5
ddr2-800 (AL0) running 4-4-4-10
ddr3-1200 running 6-6-6-15

you can find this by doing the math.

the clock tick duration for memory speeds

Memory.........................Clock Tick Duration (each one)
DDR266.........................7.5 ns
DDR333.........................6 ns
DDR400 and DDR2-400.....5 ns
DDR2-533......................3.75 ns
DDR2-667......................3 ns
DDR2-800......................2.5 ns

i wrote a post quite a long time ago concerning the relationship between performance and the frequency & latency of timings of ram.

so if you are interested in learning more about memory performance and timings heres the info.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=446389

and here is the source.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/167/4

Last edited:
Back