• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot with 4 memory modules on GA-X48-DQ6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peligroso

Hello,

I can't make my new computer boot with four memory sticks on my Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 motherboard. I have four memory sticks of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (in total 8GB) and have tried tonnes of settings in the BIOS to make it boot.

I've set the memory voltage up 0.3V since they're run at 1.8v by default and they're listed as 2.1V at Corsair. I have also tried 0.4V and 0.5V to see if that would make it boot, but it didn't. My memory sticks are CAS 4 so I've set the timings to 4-4-4-12 but have also tried 5-5-5-15 and 6-6-6-18 but that didn't help either.

I have tried all four memory slots and they're all working, and I've also tried to swap the memory sticks and all four sticks are also working.

Apart from that, I've got system memory multiplier at 2,00D so that it runs at 800MHz and I've also got my Q9450 set to run at 400x8 (3.2GHz) with +vcore 0.05, (g)mch +0.05 and CPU runnint at voltage 1,275 (default 1,25).

What happens when I try to start my computer is basically nothing. I can hear it attempting to start but it dies and restarts even before you can see the first screen with BIOS version and so on.

Please advice.

Best Regards,
David N

Have you tried stock speed on the cpu and just installing 2 sticks then reboot. Once it's booted into windows, shut down and install the other 2.

Have you tried stock speed on the cpu and just installing 2 sticks then reboot. Once it's booted into windows, shut down and install the other 2.
Ok, just tried that. I should mention that I've also tried everything at default settings with no luck. This time, when just lowering the cpu speed to default, while it didn't boot it still feels like it was progress. I kept the other settings and memory was running at 667MHz.

Earlier, when trying to boot with 4 sticks, the computer reboots after about 5 seconds. This time, it didn't reboot so you could hear that it tried to boot, but didn't manage to show anything on the screen, not even the first BIOS version page.

Hmm, ok, try this:

Go into bios:

Set Ram voltage to 2.1 Timings: ( 4-4-4-12-2T) (800MHz)
Set Vcore to 1.3v
Raise NB voltage 2 notches from default
Raise SB Volatge 1 notch from default.

Use 2 sticks then reboot. Once it's booted into windows, shut down and install the other 2. See if this helps.

Tried but without success. Just one thing though, which is the SB voltage setting? FSB? Have also tried 3 and 4 notches on the NB and tried 6-6-6-18 and 667MHz with the same settings, nothing boots.

FSB= Front side bus ( memory speed)
SB= Southbidge ( that little yellow sink on the bottom right is your southbridge)

Have you confirmed each stick works and passes memtest? It's either:

A) One or more of those ram modules is bad
or

B) That mobo does not like all 4 ram slots populated which could be defective.

This is going to be time consuming, but you need to do it:

Test each stick of ram in each slot one at a time. D/l and run memtest from here . Memtest has to run in DOS mode.

Anyone know if this is a hardware issue or bios issue witht he GA-X48-DQ6? I was about to buy one, and just want to make sure this isnt a known issue as i've only read good things about them.

I don't know if you done it or will it help, make sure performance mode is set to standard.

I've done that test now and all the sticks are fine. Performance mode is set to standard. Loosing faith on this one, I've tried so much now but nothing works :(

sounds like one of the sticks is bad, i had a recent issue with a pair of mushkin ddr2-1066 1GB sticks, just need to boot the system up with 1 stick at a time, then when the system doesn't POST you'll have found the bad stick (or sticks, if it doesn't POST with multiple sticks)

I bought this board first and had the same problem. Mine would boot with 2 1 gig sticks but not 4 1 gig sticks. I remember googleing it and finding that it was a problem with the board. So i went out and bought a Asus

Did you ever figure it out. I had the x38 board of this flavor and was woundering if you found the solution for it.

hope you get this working, looking to get the board but everything ive read so far about it doesnt seem good. :/ but hope everything gets better!

Not looking good doesn't surprise me. You've managed to "bump" 3 different threads, one of which was a year and a half old.
FWIW, in the past year and a half, I owned 5 Gigabyte boards. 2-P35, 1-P45, 1-P45t, 1-X48t,. It might be a pattern. I haven't had any problems with these boards.

Realize too, most posts on the internet are about people having problems, much like NewEgg reviews, you kinda have to take them with a grain of salt.

I can't find it now, but I did have a living review bookmarked on this MOBO, all I can find right now is on the x48t.
Here's the one on the x48t http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/3201-gigabyte-x48t-dq6-living-review.html

If you post up a problem or a concern, I'm sure one of the knowledgeable members here can help you out :). IMO it's a pretty mature platform.

Last edited:
Back