• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Maximus Formula discontinued, need substitute for build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FAST LS1

Registered
Well, here's the build I had picked out two months ago, ordering everything from Newegg to get a deal on shipping. Plus the other items I had already purchased. I had to postpone the build due to travel with work, now the Mobo has been discontinued on newegg.

Intel E8400
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB
LITE-ON Black DVD DVD+RW CD CD-RW
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Razer Tarantula Tempest Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System

Other item's I've already purchased for the build.
Thermaltake Armor Case
PC Power & Cooling 750W
Samsung 245BW 24"

What other motherboard would mate up well with the rest of the items like RAM that I've already chosen for my build?

P45?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

P45 Deluxe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

Go with the Rampage Formula...same board....x38 in Maximus, x48 in Rampage. I replaced my Maximus with my current Rampage Formula.

Before you do this and do what I did...think about going DDR3...DDR2 is dying real fast...I just bought my rampage about 3 weeks ago and already planning on going DDR3 in the next few weeks...

Asus is getting ready to release the Rampage Extreme (DDR3 version) here real soon...matter of fact they have it listed on the updates now...so it should be in the next few weeks at the latest...

Also, why not go with a real TRUE instead of a look-a-like HS?

i would agree with the DDR3. the only reason to get DDR2 at this point is to stay under a budget. especially if you want 8GB - 8GB of DDR3 would cost you about $600 while DDR2 would cost you about $200. the difference in mobo prices is negligible imo

you can get nice 2x2GB DDR3 for around $300... $200 more than you're spending now

Back