• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hip hip hooray!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If we're lucky The next ceo will be as entertaining as Jerry Sanders used to be :D Hector was always a bit boring.

If nobody minds I'm going to bang on about this article here
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01365/
Seems the right place

I think Ed massively underestimates just how much damage buying ATI did to AMD.
AMD paid $2billion in cash from its piggy bank, took out a $2billion loan, and issued about $1.5billion in stock.
The $2billion cash is 15months R&D
AMD's current plant and machinery is valued at $4.5 billion, so instead of buying ATI, it could have bought a new Fab, maybe even two.
It had the opportunity in 2006 to issue a bucket load of stock, take on a fortune in cheap debt and actually become, if not Goliath, Big Dave.

Domo fabs only do you good if you have something to sell, AMD has one FAB down now and you do not notice their CPUs to be out of stock. Wouldn't help them if they had 1-2 more fabs in this situation.
Having enough money to make dual K10s from start would might have made a difference.

It wasnt meant as an AMD should have done, simply what AMD COULD have done, and it could have doubled, more or less, its production capability.
I could have done a lot with that money, most of it better than buying AMD

Back