• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Intel 945] Will running PCIE at 112 damage a vidcard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdamda

Im running an E2180 on a secondary PC with a 945 that can't lock the PCIE bus (the PCI bus is locked).

I've been running onboard video on it for quite some time, so I'm not really concerned about it.

However, I'm going to drop my 8600GT into that after I get a faster video card (doesn't do the Q6600 justice). I haven't really seen many people running their PCIE frequencies much higher than 100, and I'm a little bit concerned since I know high PCIE frequencies can corrupt SATA drives.

Will I damage the card with a PCIE of 112? What is the "safest" I can push the PCIE? Anyone know where I can look up stuff on this?

no where to really look this up... NV cards can take higher PCIE speeds then ATI can... from i recall some saying 115mhz would be max to go with otherwise you run the risk of SATA data corruption. when i ran 110MHZ on my 7900GT KO/8800GTS 640 that gave them a nice little kick in the pants.

the problem usually comes down to other things tacked onto the pci-e channel and not the video card itself. You would have to check intels spec sheets for that chipset if you wanted to see what is under the pci-e bus. Usually the first thing to go like previously mentioned is the hard drives which frequently are on the pci-e channel. Evilsizer got it right corruption has happend at around 115 before so 110 is usually the number referenced as being safe.

There really is not much to gain by increasing the pci-e bus you only get the most minscule of performance increses by doing so. Usually the only people who go past 110 are extremebench markers who need every disposable tool they can get their hands on to get the highest possible scores.

Personally I leave it on 100 at all times even though I have run 110 before for extended periods there really wasnt any reason to do so.

sometimes on cheaper mobos the pci and pci-e busses are tied to the fsb so when you overclock your cpu you can end up running your slots out of spec which can cause stability problems. If your mobo doesnt give you any control over your pci-e and thorugh overclocking you are at 112mhz pci-e you should be fine but again if you are clocking this seperatly there really isnt much to gain by doing so.

I suppose I can lower it back to 110 when I move my 8600GT.

I'd like to leave the OC on that PC at 2.58ghz but I don't want to risk damaging anything more.

Oh well, that's what one gets when going cheap.

I got that board for about $35 :/

Back