• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPG (RebateStatus.com) Files for Bankruptcy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yikes, I was going to order a cpu/mobo from newegg yesterday but compared the prices to tigerdirect which was a little bit more but the cost for 2 day shipping was half of what newegg charges so I ordered from tiger instead and now I'm glad I did. I think we're going to be seeing some things that we're so used to seeing just vanish in the coming months like rebates and free shipping just to name a couple.

Damn I use quiet a bit of those companies products out there. That sucks.

Just check your MIRs for the address or website used by that company. Newegg has already pulled their rebates from them and since rebates are a big part of NV's and memory companies sales strategies another company will pick up the slack.

It's a shame though because my rebatestatus.com rebates all went flawlessly and were fairly quick. Maybe that's why they went under, they actually fulfilled rebates honestly :-/

It's a shame though because my rebatestatus.com rebates all went flawlessly and were fairly quick. Maybe that's why they went under, they actually fulfilled rebates honestly :-/

Same here. A company that does actually the right thing gets screwed. What a concept.

Ah Ch. 11. I'm sure the credit crunch has something to do with their problems, maybe it's an example of a company having problems because they couldn't finance their operations. I was only semi-serious when I said they went under because they filled the rebates properly :p and for the record I've only had one rebate ever that did not go through the first time with no problem using many rebate companies.

Great... I guess I may be losing out on a couple of rebates. We'll see...

I f'in hate MIR's. Would not care if they were done away with completely. I would rather receive discounts when I purchase the item, not a month or two later...

I f'in hate MIR's. Would not care if they were done away with completely. I would rather receive discounts when I purchase the item, not a month or two later...

While they suck I'd rather go through the 5min to put it all togeather and mail out to get money than not doing anything or getting any discounts. Would be nice but they have to make some money off this MIR stuff. Some where along the line they are holding the money that really isn't theres, yet probably gaining intrest or something on it.

I'm almost certain that's exactly what they do, I did a little poking around once about 'doing rebates at home,' the one I looked at was basically a scam with signup fees and whatnot but they explained how rebates work overall. Something like this: company contracts rebate fulfillment company to do some rebates, rebate company gets a chunk of money to fulfill them, gets interest on it for 4-8-12 weeks then sends out rebate check.

Damn, I believe I have a couple pending. There's some cash probably down the drain.

You and me both... I've got a few. I had received 2 emails from TRENDnet that I shouldn't cash their checks, but I had already cashed them a couple of weeks prior to the email. It was for a wireless N router and a wireless N AP, both still work great (one for my uncle and one I'm using right now).

$25 + $30 or something like that... but I never got notice of them bouncing... perhaps I got lucky?

I also have 2 pending Antec rebates... those are probably history...

P.S. Worldwiderebates is not in trouble are they? Someone mentioned them, but it was probably just a mistake...

yikes, I was going to order a cpu/mobo from newegg yesterday but compared the prices to tigerdirect which was a little bit more but the cost for 2 day shipping was half of what newegg charges so I ordered from tiger instead and now I'm glad I did. I think we're going to be seeing some things that we're so used to seeing just vanish in the coming months like rebates and free shipping just to name a couple.

this wont affect free shipping at all, this is soley for mail in rebates and only for companies that specifically used this company for their rebates.

this company acted like an escro service but basically they went off and spent the money companies gave them for rebates - their "illegal" activites are being investigated.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU4NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

We have been longstanding supporters of mail in rebates (MIR) in our industry and for the most part if you properly managed your personal rebate process, MIRs have been a fairly safe bet. All of that is about to change. Continental Promotions Group headquartered in Canada is one of the rebate industry’s largest and oldest players and has huge ties to computer hardware rebates. CPG is putting the screw to its customers to “repay” rebates that have already been funded. Hardly what we would call “Fulfilling the Promise of the Brand” as it is stated on its home page.

Since 1989, CPG has earned an enviable reputation for its innovative, responsive and effective promotions, from rebates and loyalty programs to gift cards and sales spiffs. The company is a recognized leader in the promotion industry, having created countless consumer, retail and business-to-business programs for more than 500 national and international clients in 120 countries.

While we prefer not to kiss and tell, our client list reads like a Who's Who in Consumer Retailing and Manufacturing. From high tech to housewares, home improvement to home entertainment, appliances to auto parts.

Here is a simple overview of how a rebate with CPG works. Company X puts a rebate on its product, let’s say for $20. Company X expects to pay out 5000 of these rebates to consumers. Company X would then put the $100,000 needed to cover that rebate into CPG’s bank accounts. CPG basically escrows the money for consumers. CPG is trusted with this money in order to make sure the consumer is “safe.”

We have it from good sources currently that CPG owes consumers somewhere in the neighborhood of $9M to $12M worth of rebates. The problem here is that CPG currently only has about $3M in cash to cover that $9M-$12M in rebates owed to the consumer. Where that money has gone to is anyone’s guess and we will leave speculation up the law enforcement authorities and the courts.

Currently CPG is contacting its customers telling them that they will need to yet again deposit money into CPG accounts in order for CPG to have the cash to cover rebate checks to consumers. This is money that companies have already paid CPG previously. CPG is telling its customers that if they do not pony up AGAIN, consumer rebate check payments are in jeopardy. In our example above, CPG is not sure where the $100,000 is that Company X paid them, but we are sure that they want another $100,000 or CPG will start bouncing consumers’ MIR checks.

If you have a rebate out with CPG, I would check into it quickly. If CPG is no help, contact the company that manufactured the product directly and explain your concerns.

Certainly MIRs are a mixed bag in the world of the computer hardware enthusiast. Some swear by them while others will not touch them with a ten foot pole. One thing is for sure, if CPG fails consumers and starts bouncing rebate checks, CPG will massively undermine the entire way that e-tail and retail computer hardware outlets do business as well as many other markets. It likely will not be for the better initially, but let's face facts, lower pricing up-front without the MIR hoops to jump through is what the consumer wants.

Last edited:
Here's another possibility rather than anything criminally illegal, although it might still result in some contract violations: I'm sure one of CPG's income streams was using the money to earn interest or other investment income while waiting to pay out the rebates. It's sure as heck what I'd do in that situation. Now when you're looking to, or ar fiduciarily *obligated* to for a public company, maximize profits and one of your income streams is from investement what do you do? You chase yield and maybe take on too much risk to maximize that income stream. We all know how worldwide stock markets and all other sorts of investments are doing...put 1 and 1 together and you get where I'm going.

They shoould not be using other people's money in stocks and such with out their permission or knowledge, so if they did it and the companies didnt know - illegal.

bottom line is they spent someone else's money in a manner not approved by the original company.

Okay so today I received my THIRD email from TRENDnet. They are being AWESOME about this whole situation and resending rebate checks to anyone who's check bounced. They are also offering to pay the BOUNCING fees!!

I don't think my check ever bounced (I think I had 2), but so far TRENDnet is the only one being proactive about this.

I have yet to hear from Antec. I think I have a pending one w/them.

Back