• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Forums + Overclockers.com: Reunited

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
This thread is for feedback and discussion of this announcement thread.

Original announcement:
This is the forums official announcement that we will be rejoining with overclockers.com in an official capacity. While our ties have always been close, they will become much closer on both social and technical levels in the days and weeks to come!

As things move forward, we'll be looking to members to contribute in a more proactive fashion towards producing articles and reviews for the frontpage. In support of that, prominent members of the forum will be working to lend structure, coordination, and promotion of the best material we have to showcase and ensure it finds its way to the frontpage.

If you have a discussion thread, hardware you'd like to review, or other material you'd like to have featured on the frontpage - contact me thru the forums.

Click here for discussion of this announcement.

Below is the official press announcement from iNet:

iNET Interactive Acquires Overclockers

Overclockers and OCForums to Reunite to Form Internet’s Most Prominent Performance Computing Community

West Chester, OH – September 11, 2009 — iNET Interactive, a social media company serving Internet professionals and technology enthusiasts, announced today its acquisition of Overclockers (www.Overclockers.com), a blog serving the performance computing market. Once a part of iNET’s online community OCForums (www.OCForums.com), the Overclockers acquisition reunites the two properties to better serve the community at OCForums and the overall performance computing market.

Over the coming months, OCForums will merge with Overclockers, operating under the Overclockers brand name. Joe Citarella, the former owner of Overclockers, will continue to serve as the editor of the Overclockers blog.

On a combined basis, the sites attract more than 550,000 monthly unique visitors. Once integration is complete, iNET believes that Overclockers represents one of the largest and most prominent communities focused on performance computing. “Reuniting Overclockers and OCForums is a tremendous opportunity for iNET and a decision strongly supported by the leaders of both sites,” stated Kevin Gold, Director of Marketing who oversees community development at iNET Interactive. “Combining the strengths of each site will create an even greater benefit to the members and to the multitude of guests who visit the sites daily.”

Computer hardware manufacturers interested in having their products reviewed by the Overclockers community can contact Joe Citarella, editor of the Overclockers blog, by visiting www.overclockers.com and clicking the Contact Us link on the left side navigation pane. Manufacturers and retailers interested in reaching the more than half a million performance computing enthusiasts can contact [email protected] to learn more about the available options.

About NET Interactive
Founded in 2002, iNET Interactive (www.iNETinteractive.com) is a social media company operating prominent online communities for Internet professionals and technology enthusiasts. Its vertically focused communities incorporate user-contributed ratings, reviews, and discussion augmented with professionally produced content.

Last edited:
It means the forum will be going on as it always has. It also means we'll get heightened exposure and ocforums.com will be rolled under the overclockers.com domain name (we've gone thru various domain name changes in the past).

Additionally, it means we need members to produce articles, reviews, commentary, etc that is of high quality to be featured on the frontpage. While the frontpage has recently been mainly a one man show, going forward the intent is to move back to our roots and get much more user contributed content which is relevant and interesting to the community.

If you can get more specific, I can also - hope that begins to answer the core of your question.

Its good for Joe, bad for overclockers.com as it will just degrade into a corporate money making site. At least that is what iNet hopes..

I was not aware that oc forums and overclockers.com were not 'officially' joined, but I see it as a positive step.

Overclockers.com was likely my first stop for overclocking information, way back when; as a google 'hit' for "overclocking'' overclockers.com is second only to a Wikipedia link.

Its good for Joe, bad for overclockers.com as it will just degrade into a corporate money making site. At least that is what iNet hopes..

In our conference call, it was made clear that Joe, iNet, and the forum all wanted to make the site more community-driven. That means members like yourself should have much more impact on the sites content and overall quality.

That, and iNet has kept the lights on here for the past few years while none of us have had to foot the bill, so they've been good to us. We also haven't turned into a "corporate money making site" - we're still the same homegrown unbiased content we've always been.

iNet has repeatedly shown that they recognize the value a healthy community can yield, and they've gone out of their way to not get in the way of that while trying to maintain profitable sites. We're fortunate for this, and I expect this behavior to continue to be reflected as these changes move forward.

EDIT: Oh, and Troy Augustine slipped me a few benjamins to say good things. :eh?:

Last edited:

Do you really understand what this means or are you trolling for the sake of it? I don't know where you are getting your information from... :rolleyes:

What does this entail for everybody else?

Some immediate benefits that popped into my head:

- This move would give you, the members a bit more leverage in terms of accessibility, content and response time.
- We will be in a position to act quickly on your suggestions i.e engage a fast feedback loop if you will. :)
- The staff would like to see members handling editorial responsibilities.
- Benching, Folding, SETI and other DC teams will be strongly represented.

Working together, I am sure we can create something unique and accessible to all. I just hope for a strong, positive, effort from all of us!

:bday:

How can we contribute to the overclockers.com site?

I would love to review stuff for the site, articles or what have you.

You can write anything you find interesting, which you think the community would also be interested in.

You could also contact the author of a thread and ask if you can cover his thread for a frontpage article - threads are usually long and information-sparse. That is, a thread can contain a lot of good information but its often not concise and to the point. We can feature the good stuff we have going on, in a format that's more attractive to a broad non-forum centric userbase by posting articles which are essentially thread summarys like this occasionally.

If you have a component, review it and submit the review to me. Hopefully sooner rather than later, we'll need someone to produce a base review format for the site - something that everyone can use as a starting point so they know where to start, what points are important to cover, and make it easy to convert the work you did and the stuff you wrote about into a frontpage article.

So there's a lot of ways you can contribute - it's best if you have a certain interest which you'd like to capitalize on, or if you have a specific part you've purchased and want to review, but if you just want to get involved and aren't sure how shoot me a PM and I'll put you on a list for things we need help with, and we'll follow up with you.

So you can reach out to us and let us know what you want to do, then we can see what fits. Also, we'll be reaching out to the membership letting you know what we're trying to do and what we need.

Otherwise, anything you produce as far as an article or content can be submitted to me and I'll forward it to Joe - this will help us get a sense of how much content is being produced by the forums and where we need to focus our efforts.

Joey: This is an example of some of the lighter stuff we can produce easily on a consistent basis. Obviously, I'd like to get a lot more high quality, in-depth stuff that I know our membership is capable of, but articles like this are much better than freeware reviews if we need to fill in some gaps between heavier content. If your interested, start writing up short summaries or analysis of forum threads similar to this and I'll start sending them to Joe. Anyone who produces stuff will receive all the credit in the arcticle (your name will be attached to the article, not mine or Joe's):
http://overclockers.com/index.php?o...s-my-room-baking&catid=52:cooling&Itemid=4257

Articles could always be submitted to Joe C from anyone... so not sure what the big deal is here. TBH I care more about Overclockers.com than having white stars here if thats what this is about. I hope we're not moving towards a "blog" kind of site... as I read above. That would be terrible.

When you say it will be under the overclockers.com domain name, you mean ocforums.com will redirect to forums.overclockers.com or something like that? That also looks to be a small unimportant change since I think before iNet even had the forums it was forums.oc-forums.com. So whats this all really mean without the long fancy description? It just means that forum members now should send their material to you IMOG instead of directly to Joe?

Overclockers.com has been a blog since before the term blog was made up. The only thing changing about that is it will be on wordpress instead of joomla, and the forum will be integrated in, and not under a seperate domain name. This is similar to webhostingtalk's setup.

What this means long term is that the forum is going to become the primary driver of frontpage content. While Joe will be present for the foreseeable future, we'll be looking to provide a structure in which we can encourage and promote more community (forum) content so that the site becomes self-sustaining - less of a one man show.

Material should be sent to me so that I can track what's getting produced and ensure we are organized in how we're providing content, and that the content submitted actually makes it to the frontpage. Joe can then focus on just scheduling, editting, and posting the content without having to manage and communicate with all the people.

Boiled down: this means we'll be taking a focus on improving the frontpage, and everyone involved with it will be working together much more closely. There hasn't been community involvement in any meaningful fashion with the frontpage for some time, and this opportunity will attempt to change that.

will there be something of a "what we want to see come from manufactures?" in terms of cases,watercooling,etc? maybe im the oddball in the forum but i always see missed opportunities by companies for some good products. maybe a "predict future products" section? just throwing things out there..

If you write it, there could be. Start a thread about an overclockers wishlist, then summarize things in a coherent easily consumable fashion and it sounds like a good article to me. Could be a running column, and we could even followup by reaching out directly to manufacturers for feedback.

Get it started and let's see what we can do with it.

i just hope the merger doesnt mess things up. i like oc.com and ocforums.com how they are now. if things get better , then great. but with all change, people are going to be scared and skeptical until things smooth out.

i'd like to see everything kept in vbulletin...1 user login, all comments and stories in the forum. I don't think it would be tough to have overclockers.com point to the vbulletin front page and have ocforums.com point to the forum index.

Splat: wordpress and vbulletin is inet's tested platform for this sort of site. The features of wordpress for blogging are much better than vbulletin with addon's, allowing easier manageability and more direct access for contributors. Vbulletin's front page features are primarily bolt-ons which can work, but from what I've seen in testing it, it can get difficult to make it do exactly what you want it to.

The login system will be tied together. I'm not sure how comments will be handled, but I agree with your thoughts there also - I'll be looking at that once we get a development version up and running.

Back