• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4890 lcs termal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

just a thought here for the past couple months the temps on my 2 power color 4890 lcs (came with ek waterblock already installed) has been minimum 34 degreed celcius. whereas my 940BE idles at like 24-28 degrees celcius. it just occured to me that the 940 has zalman brush on thermal paste and the power color cards have whatever thermal paste they came with. how many degrees do you think changeing the stock thermal paste with the zalman stuff would be good for.

also does anybody know if i would notice a differance if i switch formt eh zalman stuff the the artic cooling stuff. thing about the zalman stuff is with the brush on applicator its so damned easy to to apply.

zalman stuffs not amazing, I used it for a while because they gave me free bottles but the arctic silver was clearly better.

people seem to say the higher end ceramic stuffs better these days and safer than arctic silver on delicate tasks like GPU ram etc.

the zalman stuff is as it says a grease... not brilliant.

arctic silvers quicker to apply aswell.

because they had to add the water block and not many are sold (i don't think) they should have done a good job and not applied to much. but worth a shot if you feel comfortable removing the block and putting it back on.

grab some MX-2 or MX-3 for new paste.

i definatly have no qualms about removing the block ive done it enough times on my older 4870x2 b4 it got water spilled on it lol.

thanks for the tips on the thermal paste not much point in puting nice blocks on if the heat cant tranfer to the block

can make a fair difference with a fairly good loop.

I was surprised how well that zalman grease insulates stuff... think axle grease would be a better wildcard #Laughs#

arctic silvers ok but takes 200hours or something stupid to cure... need new hardware by then at the rate stuff develops :)

im buying MX-2 or 3 when my arctic silvers out.

GPUs seem to always idle and run hotter than the CPU. Two reasons. The GPUs make a LOT of heat. The design of a CPU block vs a GPU block is very different. CPU's are very sensitive to heat, GPU's aren't as much. So if my GPU loads at 60C and my CPU at 55C, I don't worry about it. Replacing the TIM can usually be a good thing if the GPU block was mass produced/installed.

One thing to remember, full cover GPU blocks also use thermal tape on the Vrama and mosfets for many cards. You need to have replacement TTape AND the right thickness. So research and plan before you open up the GPU to redo the paste.

hmm good point i hadnt thought of that conumdrum thnx i proly would have taken that off and gone well its still in one piece and slapped it back on there. lol now i just have to figure out what thickness pad i need and i will order like two sheets with my thermal paste

Think about this. It works fine now? No issues? Your gaming and load tests show no issues? You now know why the GPU is higher.

So, do you really need to redo the TPaste etc? Go game, DL some Pron, do whatever.

lol actually since i was gonna be taking everything apart anyways for this major case mod ive been carefully planning i was going to take all the waterblocks apart and cleen them.

i am fresh out of Tpaste so i just wanted to know what the best stuff to replace it with was cause i got that bottle of zalman stuff free. with a air cooler for a friends comp which i built.

i just thought i might try replacing the cheep crap on the gpu's also

Replacing the stock TIM on your GPU is a very good idea. I cleaned up the stock stuff on my 9800GT, and replaced it with the stuff that comes with ThermalRight heatsinks. It was good for a 10C drop in temps, with the stock air cooler. I am curious to see what this card will do when I get it under water. I have been running it for nearly a year, and still haven't OC'd it, since the temps have still been too high for my liking.

Back