• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to: fit EK 4890 block to asus direct cu 6870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

Hello, its been a while since ive posted on the forums but im back with anouther hopefully helpfull mod that i risked trying so you didnt have to. this mod i can guarantee if you have adequate radiators will significantly reduce the temperatures on the 6870 i personally am idling around 28 degrees and hit 34-36 under load @ 20 degree celcius ambiant temperature.

Pics to come soon.

Firstly seasons greetings to all (yes i know its a little early for that)

Now on to the good stuff.

DISCLAIMER.

i can only guarantee this to work if your mounting the EK waterblocks 4890 block to a ASUS Direct CU 6870 as this card has a heatsink mounted to the mosfets thats separate from the rest of the cards heatsink. ***ALSO your waterblock will never again be usable on your 4890 unless you buy stick on heatsinks for the mosfets***

Tools needed

stuff for cleening the waterblock
hacksaw and file. or a dremel with a cutoff blade
thermal paste

1) remove the waterblock from your 4890.

2)cleen the block inside and out

3)now reasemble the card and plug all the treads with some paper towel to
stop filing from getting in.

4)the part that screws on for cooling the mosfets (kinda hangs off the end screwed to a little tab. REMOVE THAT

5)k now is when you get to use all of our favorite tool our dremel. cut off the tab that the mosfet cooler screws onto. be carefull not to gouce the surface of the part that cools the v-ram. this step is to gain the clearance needed other wise that tab sits on some capacitors and you cant get the waterblock on.
***Point of no return after this u need stick on heatsinks to put your waterblock back on your 4890***

6) k now cleen up the edge left when you cut the tab off. again carefull not to gauge the surface that cools the v-ram. this step is not rlly neccesary but makes everyting look a little nicer.

7) now we move onto the 6870. first off look at the backplate you will see 4 screws. those hold on the stock heatsink. undo those 4 screw unplug the fan and remove the heatsink.

8)next flip the card over you will see a number of screws holding the backplate on. remove all of these. this includes the screws holding the heatsink tot eh mosfet... be carfull when removeing these as both the backplate and mosfet cooler have thermal pads on them and if like me you dont have thermal pads handy you will need these to retain their shape. at no point touch the thermal pads with anything.

9) ok now there were spacers all over this thing MAKE SURE YOU DONT LOOSE THEM. the four spacers that were under thescrews for the main porcessors heatsink need to go. now the 4 hols around the processor you put 4 of the screws for the waterblock. they are not long enough to reach teh waterblock through that backplate that is why you need to do this.

10) NOW VERY CAREFULLY replace the backplate on the 6870 overtop of the screws. TAKE NOTE the termal pad on this has indents from all the diods and whatnot behind the processor. IT IS VITAL that these indents line up perfectly with their components. now flip the card over and screw the backplate on. the threads for the 4 screws you put into the card before placing the backplate should be sticking out.

11) if you want apply a little layer of thermal paste to the mosfet cooler. thenn screw it on.

12) now apply the thermal paste to the face of the processor and put a little dab on each of the ram dacs.

13) now carefully place the waterblock and screw it on. this can be tricky to do so dont be surprized if this takes a while. this is cause you have to get each screw started in the threads of the waterblock and then tighten each one up a little at a time otherwise it wont go on stright.

CONGRATS you now have a watercooled 6870.

Back