• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need a ram genious

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subhumannn

Registered
i need help setting up my new ram, im kinda knowledgeable on this stuff but it wont recognize it as dual channel and im using my laptop so i can chat and setup simultaneously

ill be on for another couple of hours waiting for a reply, so stick around plz, ill refresh every few minutes

Hi,make sure that your memory modules are inserted in proper slots on your motherboard , for proper configuration refer to the manual or just switch em up , its either 1st and 2nd slot , or 1st and 3rd.

Also list the system specs.

ive got them in right by the diagram,

1 and 2 are channel one
3 and 4 are channel two
and it recognizes both the chips just wont run them in ganged mode

its a ga-ma78gm-us2h and amd 7850 black edition
9800gt 1gb
gobs of harddrives
2 x 2gb pny 800mhz chips

seriously..... ive stumped the over clockers?.....all i want is my dual channel ram to register as dual channel and ill be happy....i dont have time to goto college to learn this stuff so i was thinking the largest group of computer performance experts on the web would be able to help but it seems it cant be done. kinda discouraging, guess its time to call the geek squad

seriously..... ive stumped the over clockers?.....all i want is my dual channel ram to register as dual channel and ill be happy....i dont have time to goto college to learn this stuff so i was thinking the largest group of computer performance experts on the web would be able to help but it seems it cant be done. kinda discouraging, guess its time to call the geek squad

I doubt the majority of people on these forums have seen your post in a mere 1 hour since initial post. Have you tried the sticks in slots 3/4? Or have you tried staggering the sticks?.. Try slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.. I'm not sure how much playing around with the sticks you've done but these are the things I'd try. Have you checked Gigabytes memory compatibility list? Is there a setting in BIOS that might need adjustment? Maybe the board doesn't like the RAM..
You did buy the sticks as a 4gb dual channel pack right? Not 2 separate 2gb sticks?

Stumped? Hardly. You seem to have found an off time.

You need to run them in different channels. Put them in 1 and 3 to see if that fixes it for you.

EDIT: Looking the manual you linked, that board is a bit different. Channel 0/1 are next to each other, so it goes "0101" instead of the normal "0011". Try your RAM in slots 3/4. If that doesn't work, there is an option you are missing in the BIOS to enabled ganged (dual channel) mode. Also, how are you detecting whether it is in dual channel or not?

Last edited:
sorry guys i was kinda discouraged after the last post went unanswered and i just guessed on the ram i should buy. ive tried moving them around and went into advanced options and forced ganged mode but when i run amd's overdrive it says single channel anyway, ive tried three different sets of ram all at different speeds and most have been recomended by gigabyte and im drawing a mega blank.

Stumped? Hardly. You seem to have found an off time.

You need to run them in different channels. Put them in 1 and 3 to see if that fixes it for you.

EDIT: Looking the manual you linked, that board is a bit different. Channel 0/1 are next to each other, so it goes "0101" instead of the normal "0011". Try your RAM in slots 3/4.

If that doesn't work, there is an option you are missing in the BIOS to enabled ganged (dual channel) mode.

Yep, you just caught us on one of the slowest nights of the week on the forums. Try slots 3/4, and check all of your settings in BIOS. Also try looking for a hardware compatibility list, and make sure your RAM is on it. Make sure all of your voltages are correct as well.

and i bought all 3 sets as a dual channel kit. if some one could please tell me whether a single channel 1066mhz 4gb chip is better than 2 x 2gb 800mhz in dual channel it could save us a bunch of trouble. my mobo says i can run up to 1200mhz ram but only one dimm per channel so no ganged mode (and so a max of 2 chips for 4 slots?) im confused and mobo specs sheet is crap

and i bought all 3 sets as a dual channel kit. if some one could please tell me whether a single channel 1066mhz 4gb chip is better than 2 x 2gb 800mhz in dual channel it could save us a bunch of trouble. my mobo says i can run up to 1200mhz ram but only one dimm per channel so no ganged mode (and so a max of 2 chips for 4 slots?) im confused and mobo specs sheet is crap

If your board will run 4 GB DIMM's you may be fine, but if you can get one of the 2x2 GB kits to run in dual channel, you will get better memory bandwidth. Better bandwidth means your system will run faster.:thup:

i forced my bios into ganged mode through the the advanced bios setup and it registers as single channel under amd overdrive. its gotta be some kinda mobo issue this thing is speaking hindu to me, some chinese guy obiously wrote the instructions to my mobo and i hope he died in a fire

Unganged = single channel Ganged = dual channel

Just did a test going from unganged to ganged and ran Sisoft Sandra memory bandwidth test. Unganged got a nice 15.72 GB/s bandwidth. Rebooted and switched to ganged and re-ran the same test.. memory bandwidth dropped to 11.1 GB/s. Stick to Unganged for more bandwidth and performance.

yeah...from bios i can cntrl+f1 and access advanced options then set whatever i want for memory but when i get into cpu-z or amd overdrive i see no difference....i appreciate your help btw

still registers single channel on overdrive......should i shoot it and call my insurance company?

Unganged = single channel Ganged = dual channel

Just did a test going from unganged to ganged and ran Sisoft Sandra memory bandwidth test. Unganged got a nice 15.72 GB/s bandwidth. Rebooted and switched to ganged and re-ran the same test.. memory bandwidth dropped to 11.1 GB/s. Stick to Unganged for more bandwidth and performance.

Must be an AMD thing. I work with Intel chipsets, and always get better performance out of dual channel.:shrug:

Back