• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

considering a second loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

Mission: Cooler Temps, quiet.
Existing setup:
-ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel -SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775,
-mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Feser triple Rad, 3 Noctua fans, Swiftech MCP655, - MCRES-Micro res., MCW-NBMAX(northbridge),Danger Den MPC-CPU - 775 Quad Core Block,DD-4870-X2
(link to build in sig)
======================================
I do not overclock. I want it quiet as my main goal. According to rivatuner my gpu temps hover at 50c under load. the cpu however is a different issue. I recently started FaH smp in addition to the gpu folding client. the cpu temps jump to 60c on all 4 cores. I am concerned this will damage them over time so would like to cool it down.

I am considering adding another triple rad with fans.
Questions:
1. how do I determine if the temps are from low water flow from too much in the loop or from not enough radiators?
2. since there isn't a ton of airflow in the case should i wc the 2 hd's? one is a backup drive, the primary is spinning a lot due to use. they are 7200 rpm drives and hot to the touch.
3. if I do wc the hd's as well, which at this point I am inclined to do, then should I go ahead and get second loop?
3.5 or should I put 2 pumps in series? (not sure how I would do this yet.)

it seems I am talking myself into a second loop though I am scared of the noise. so in that vain...

4. if I get a second loop how should I split it up?
cpu, chipsets, hd and 4870x2 on it's own loop? or throw the hd's on the gpu loop?

as an aside I am not opposed to building the whole case from scratch. it would be fun but I am not sure how I would go about it. Ideas seem to be the hardest part though I would go all wood.

Last edited:
1. From experience with restrictive loops and MCP655's I can tell you it's not the pump. Your flow rate should be fine. The loop in my sig runs fine with only one of those pumps running and set to P4.1, which is just a hair above what an MCP-655B (fixed speed) runs. Storm's are very restrictive, and I've got two of them in the loop, but none of your blocks are very restrictive. If you want cooler temps you'll need more rad or higher CFM fans. Since you want to keep it quiet adding a rad is the way to go. The more rad you have the lower you can run your fans.

2. HDD's should never be hot to touch. Very warm, yes, mine run 40-43°C (104-110°F) most of the time, but not hot. You might try Everest Home Edition to check your HDD temps. Usually a low-flow fan is enough for them. I have an S-Flex 'E' cooling my HDD's. It's right up front maybe 2' from my ears and I can't hear it (49 CFM @ 20.1 db).

3. If you add HDD water blocks to your loop you still should be OK for flow. Those MCP-655's can take a LOT. I'd add the HDD blocks in parallel to avoid excess restriction. It should be enough to keep the HDDs cool but I admit I have no experience with HDD water-blocks. IMO, you'd be better off with a quiet fan instead of water cooling those.

4. If you do go with a second loop I'd be tempted to put only the CPU or maybe the CPU and HDDs (in parallel) on the second loop. Again, I wouldn't add the HDDs and even if I did I'd probably still leave it all as one loop. If you have an MCP-655B (fixed speed) then you may be pushing it's limits with 2 rads, 2 HDDs (in parallel), CPU, GPU, chipset, and res.

A pair of MCP-655B's in series will push through all that easily if needed but there are also advantages to making two loops with the CPU and GPU separated. Tough call there ...

Last edited:
i think I will probably cool the hd's eventually. for now I will get another rad. I will probably get a second pump as well but more for redundancy than anything else. it's a $2.5k rig and I'd hate to lose it cause a $60 part failed.

I am curious as to how much cooling would occur if I just added in a coil of copper tubing. like 6 feet of it. might be fun to play with.

Back