• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a robust pc mbo to dub as server sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

HY people! I´m currently researching a computer to use at our enterprise and need help choosing motherboard, as i´m currently offline in the computer market... (board recomendations, chipsets etc)

-I need a powerfull workstation that can dub as a server. It´ll be used for simple office tasks but will have an Matrix raid array with the secondary mirror partition used to backup info of a total of 4 other computers. the computers will be interconnected and there will be a special content folder located on this machine that needs to be sinchronized with all computers. so it´ll be kind of a server sometimes. Maybe we will put some cameras with a capture board to rec images on the place and i don´t know what´s the impact on the machine...

I was palnning to use an intel quad core i7 in the machine ad was recommended by the local vendor to use a BOXDP55WG mobo... I Just didn´t liked the fact that it seems not to have an e-sata (wich may be important or not in sucha inviroment). So :grouphug: :

Sticking on Intel line, what´s the recommended chipset, is the P55? (more actual, the best performer, the options on the moment lga 775 / 1156 / 1366... socket longevity, need matrix raid onboad, good video onboard up to 1080p @32bit, usb 3.0 is welcome as e-sata)

If you stick with 32bit and require onboard video, you can eliminate 1366 right there. Although I think that 1366 is probably your best option for pulling double duty. 1366 with a 920/930 and 6gb ram should serve you well. As far as HD video goes, a $35 8400gs will take care of the ;)

Depending on future uses for the server, a possible upgrade path would be the yet-to-be-released i7 970 hex core, and an upgrade to 12GB of ram.

It's really a VERY capable system, and prices are reasonable (especially compared to server grade components ;))

With that said: I would suggest the Asus P6X58D series or the Gigabyte X58 UD5, an i7 920/930, and 6-12GB of quality Ram.

If you stick with 32bit and require onboard video, you can eliminate 1366 right there. Although I think that 1366 is probably your best option for pulling double duty. 1366 with a 920/930 and 6gb ram should serve you well. As far as HD video goes, a $35 8400gs will take care of the ;)

Depending on future uses for the server, a possible upgrade path would be the yet-to-be-released i7 970 hex core, and an upgrade to 12GB of ram.

It's really a VERY capable system, and prices are reasonable (especially compared to server grade components ;))

With that said: I would suggest the Asus P6X58D series or the Gigabyte X58 UD5, an i7 920/930, and 6-12GB of quality Ram.

Thanks... that´s the way it looks like gonna be... Thanks for the mobo options. Will check theyr specs...
Just not shure if i´ll go with 6gb or if 12gb will have use....? And will think if i can use w7 ultimate or need windows server 2008.... But I think i´ll make a topic for those... thanks again :clap:

Any one more recomendations on mobos are :welcome:

I'm really an eVGA guy, but you listed USB 3.0 as something that would be welcomed... resulting in the Asus and the Jigabyte recommendation ;)

Back