• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a few pointers on TH7II-RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gone_fishin

BandSaw King
Just got a TH7II-RAID. It has AC2001 sound and a "K" on the last PCI slot. How many revisions of this board are there? My Rambus clock generators are ICS 9212DF-03, is this the same for all TH7II's? One more thing. I'm getting a pair of 256Mb Samsung RDRAM, which set of slots should I use - by IDE or by CPU?

I currently have the Abit TH7-II (Non Raid) version and I have the same ICS chipset.

Cannot answer your revisions question nor your memory question, sorry.

gone_fishin said:
I'm getting a pair of 256Mb Samsung RDRAM, which set of slots should I use - by IDE or by CPU?

doesn't really matter you have 4 RAM slots, you need to fill the other two up with C-Rimms

I know all four need to be filled but I wasn't sure if putting the two rimms in a particular set of slots would allow a higher overclock.

gone_fishin said:
I know all four need to be filled but I wasn't sure if putting the two rimms in a particular set of slots would allow a higher overclock.

it shouldn't make a difference

Woofer told me that putting the RAM modules in closest to the CPU worked best for him. I've tried both ways and it didn't seem to make much difference for me.

According to the manual, if you have only two sticks you must put them in the two slots closest to the cpu. Here's why
You have four slots: A1, A2, B1, B2.
A1 and A2 are on Channel A
B1 and B2 are on Channel B
Channel A has to be identical to Channel B.
The way they are laid out on the board from left to right is
A1,B1,A2,B2

MVC-031F.jpg

So if you put both of your sticks on channel A and your C-Rimms on Channel B they would not be identical.

I don't know if it works any other way but I do know that it will not work without the C-Rimms. :) I tried.

Hope that helps.
akh

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. My memory is still in transit and should be here tomorrow. I'll just put em in the slots near the cpu and leave em there. I have a question posted in the Intel Abit motherboard section if anyone wants to take a poke at it.

You have the newer version of the TH7-II since it has AC2001 onboard sound. Mine still has the older AC97 sound.

Here's an update on my progress.
I got the 2 Samsung 256Mb sticks the other day. They're 8 piece single sided. I am running 133FSB, PC1066 spec on the mem, and 2133mhz for the CPU. My voltage is set to 1.6v but I did the wire volt mod so it's running at 1.7v. Before the volt mod when set to 1.625v it was actually getting 1.56 to 1.58 volts idle, as confirmed by the winbond utility. I now get a steady 1.7v idle but drops to 1.65 at full load. My temps are 40C idle and 48C full load, these are the same before the volt mod. The only reason I'm leaving the volt mod on is the idle voltage don't fluctuate so I assume it will be more stable and the temps didn't increase. I'm using the stock HSF with Arctic SilverIII. I got an Alpha 8045 and am thinking of modding it with a couple of 1/8" steel strips to mount to the motherboard holes with the provided stud risers and 4 tapped holes in the strips to mount the HS to using the spring loaded screws provided.

Has anyone got the 8045 to fit and do you think it will lower my temps?

rambus clock generator

where is this GENERATOR situated , i cant find it to check the number !
i have an old TH7 II (5 months! ) and i cant get the fix option to work, so my oc range is very limited .i got my old P4 1,5 to 1890 mhz @ 125fsb but with 2 v and rdram @x3 but its oc my video and HD too much so i put it back to 1610@110 fsb .
Got his new marvel 1,6a and cant get it more than 1760 !
i know i need to flash hacked bios 77 to raise the voltage cause the max with 38 is 1,625 v(= 1,49 real!) , i dont want to do it before i fix the fix option because if i cant fix it i will change the board but here in france my reseller ask 4 weeks to do that !

Rambus clock generator

where is exactly this rambus clock generator,i looked all around the board with magnifiing glass but cant find it !
I got one of the first TH7 II in september (serial TIA002307) and the fix option or even the 2/4 dont work . it seems the new ones seem ok so i might change it but my reseller ask me 4 weeks as it send it ot Abit for control and repair if possible , they might even do nothing and just give it back !

Back