• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help on upgrading my PC. Bit of a nub in this area.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonteKristo

Registered
Hello everyone. First of all, Thank you so much in advance for taking time to aid me in my quest in gaining all the power I can for the money I spend. I'm excited to be here and be part of this.

I wish to upgrade my PC. My knowledge is limited but I am fairly capable. I build houses, so I can read interpret prints, a few upgrades shouldn't kill me.

My goal is to optimize my PC for what I use it for mostly which is VR, gaming, recording gameplay, mixed reality and streaming soon I'd imagine. I would have bought the vive 2.0 (have the O.G) and one of the new graphics cards by Nvidia but figured I could do much much more to prepare for the pricedrop of those two things and at the same time create a monster out of my PC.

My budget is $1500(ish as long as noone tells my girl and I keep it reasonable)

I will post my specs forgive me if it's not all the required info or too much info lol

I want to overclock. I am A beginner but capable guy and I'm thinking my motherboard is suited enough for it I can get away with using it and future proofing at the same time. I don't mind buying used from a reliable supplier like amazon if you guys think its a good idea. I would take it to memory express i just dont want to wait I want this yesterday hehe.

Here are my present specs...

Intel core [email protected] skylake non-k (obviously replacing this for non-k) NVidia geforce gtx 1070 GDDR5 Micron :( 8192Mb
American megatrends Z170-A southbridge NCT6793/NCT 5563 version 1801 LPCIO nuovoton for my DDR4 Dual 16 gb x16 x16 XMP 2.0 PCI-E express
*cooler master v750 for PSU
BENQ 1920x1080@60Hz
Windows 10 home edition
Direct X 12
corsair 330r Titanium edition

Using an Xbox kinect I modded webcam/green screen ...was thinking capture card??

Thanks again for any help whatsoever...

Most direct upgrade would be to swap the CPU for a "K" version and sell the old one. Get a decent cooler and OC it. If you think you're going to need more cores for the extra recording/streaming then an 8700K on a Z370 motherboard. Depends on what you do more VR or straight gaming. VR doesn't take a whole lot of GPU horespower but gaming with all the eye candy does. If you need a new GPU then I'd go the 6700K route and spend the rest on a high end GPU

Hey thanks for the input. Yeah for the last few months when the software took a 'slight'
improvement in the VR direction finally I picked my Vive up and now its all I do when it comes to gaming.
I was thinking about getting an i7700k and a 1080ti, and a cooler. I think that the 7700 fits my Z-170 ...But now that you mention it, if it's in my budget it would definitely be better to grab an 8 series k chip. (forgive me if I dont have the terminology correct.) with the new graphics cards and their prices, lack of influence in the VR arena and consequently the price drop in beasts like the 1080ti..it leaves me alot of room to spend efficiently in other areas.

Is your budget of $1500 in US dollars? And would you be buying the parts in the US?

For gaming purposes you might want to look at replacing that BenQ display which has a refresh rate of only 60 hz. A high end video card like you are planning to get will overwhelm that and likely produce image tearing.

Oh, yes. Noob not "nub".

ok great thank you. yeah I know it's noob lol. I wish there was a place I could bring my parts in and upgrade at the same time. that would make my choice easier.

You didn't answer my question about US dollars. We have no idea where you live and the cost and availability of components vary tremendously from one part of the world to the next. And that would influence our recommendations.

100% on the "K" version. Other than W10, you'll notice I have a very similar rig to yours, including display resolution. At 1080p/60 Hz I have no shortage of gaming horsepower, and expect that to stay that way for a while yet. I did have W10 on this rig for a while and it worked as flawlessly as W10 can, including gaming.

Back