• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 760 OC Prime95 Freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ovazealous

Hey guys! Recently started overclocking my i5 760 (with Hyper 212+ on a GA-H55M-D2H with 8GB DDR3 2x4GB 1333 RAM)
For some reason, my Prime95 hangs my computer after a few minutes, it just freezes. I am forced to shut off the PC from the power. Don't understand why this is happening.
I'm at 3.46Ghz (from 2.8Ghz) and I don't know what the problem is.
I'll post some of my settings.

------------------

Clock Ratio: 21x
Base Clock: 165
System Memory Multiplier: 8
QPI Clock Ratio: x32

Performance Enhance: Standard
DRAM Timing: Auto

CPU VCore: 1.15V
QPI/VVT: AUTO
PCH Core: AUTO
CPU PLL: AUTO
DRAM Voltage: AUTO
DRAM Termination: AUTO

and some of the status stuff...
QPI Frequency: 5281Mhz
Memory Frequency: 1320Mhz (Not far off the 1333 of the RAM)
Uncore Frequency: 2640Mhz

-------------------

Hope you guys can help!
Thanks!

LOL... maybe you hit the maximum overclock? Just a guess.. Not all CPU's are the same. Drop down the QPI frequency if you can.. seems a little high..

Bad guess... :p

Add more vcore... and a bit of Vtt/QPI.

Also, check out the guide in my signature on how to overclock. ;)

Last edited:
yes your qpi dose seem high should be 3000 to 4000 some where . try 20x 190 CPU VCore @1.3 (can lower the volt later) that should give u 3.8ghz . turn all power saving things off

For some reason, my Prime95 hangs my computer after a few minutes, it just freezes. I am forced to shut off the PC from the power.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a hard core wall or too high of core temps.

I used to get that with my 2004 T'bred 2400+ KIXJB. It would start doing that bull at 2415 or around there.
(It was a core issue in my case and I would be lucky for it to go further with the core temp below 50 C)
(It wasn't the bus or RAM) (It was a low FSB and high multi chip for the time, FSB still underclocked lol)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your replies, I upped the Vcore to 1.2, seems more stable, gotta test for longer... and I might give 20 x 190 a try later.

... after some of the faster stability tests, I was on YouTube, and the whole system just froze up, quite annoying. Getting quite annoying.... I've reset back to defaults, and I'm gonna try going up at a x20 multiplier, I'm not sure how much that will help (i'm really nooby) but that's all I can think of.
I notice that at stock, the QPI is still pretty high anyway...

EDIT: Actually, according the CPU-Z, the QPI Link is 2.8ghz, so i must have been reading something wrong off the bios? (although i'm sure the bios is more accurate)

Last edited:
Back