• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock P67 Pro3 + I7 2600K OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello again :)

After few weeks, everything was fine. 90% of time I used it at 4GHz, cause the lower temps and when playing roughly games OC to 4.4 even 4.5 with no problems.
Max temperature is bellow 90, 85-87 degree.

My another mb AsRock Z68 Extreme Gen3 arrives, latest bios, same configuration - ram, cpu, cooler, video...just replace my hdd with another ssd.
In bios there were some profile saved for 4.2 and 4.5 GHz. Previous owner may be use them don't know.
I try to use them, also try to use settings from P67 Pro3 and other similar settings which was discussed here.

Basically results are 4.5 - fail bsod, 4.2 not stable - higher temps. The best stable settings that I achieve today is that from my last post.

Conclusion... this motherboard Z68 got higher cpu temps somehow. I saw that one of the mb chip is covered by videocard and after OCCT, bench it is very hot.
Could that be a problem/reason or just mb is not so good for OC, especially compared to P67 that I used?
IMG_20181129_174450 z68.jpg

Thanks in advance !

sound like either you are using too much cpu voltage or bad cooler/thermal paste mount .
your temp are high for the clock you have ,
i would set everything to default , boot to windows load the cpu with occt or similar and check the temp . if you still on 80c+ then bad cooler/thermal paste mount .
in case you got on 6xc range or low 70c then start increasing the clock without touching the vcore (do not set voltage to auto , set it the correct voltage 1.2v or so manually ) , you should get to the 4 ghz without almost any vcore boost,
then from here start tweaking cpu freq and vcore step by step .
Conclusion... this motherboard Z68 got higher cpu temps somehow. I saw that one of the mb chip is covered by videocard and after OCCT, bench it is very hot.
Could that be a problem/reason or just mb is not so good for OC, especially compared to P67 that I used?
this is the motherboard south-brigde , it can get hot since card if blowing hot air on it and you have almost no air follow in your case (maybe you also changed the default voltage in bios that's why it is heating).
the motherboard is good for overclock

Last edited:
I also have doubts about thermal paste it was replaced. First time I used thermal paste from original CM212 box. Now I used ... don't remember the name, it is not cheap, not expensive.
Also double check the cooler - it is correct mounted.

I reset the bios to default an try running OCCT tests for 30minutes (min/max temperatures)
default - 3.4GHz 31/64c
default multiplier 40 - 4.0 GHz 32/75c. At the end of the test there was bsod.
multiplier 40 with fixed 1.2v and 1.25v got bsod after 10/20minutes.
Now trying multiplier 40 with offset + 0.020v and Line4 . CpuZ shows 1.264v, Hwmonitor shows CPU core 1.280 and Voltage VID 0,1,2,3 -> 1.376v
It's hitting almost 80c at 4GHz isn't that high temperature?
occt z68 4GHz.png

I make settings via bios, AsRock utility shows this settings in windows
asrock z68 test 4GHz.jpg

While making the OCCT benchs, video card is in idle, so fans are off.

Last edited:
What is the bsod 0x124 ?
Are all heat pipes hot touch in the upper extremity evenly ?

Last edited:
Can't remember, some watchdog or time out.
4GHz is stable, but I think temps aee higher, which is strange. I think that differences in bad paste and good one (mx4 for example) is 5 degree maximum.
At old motherboard I have 80c max at 4.4, here almost 80c at 4.0.
May be will try reinstalling the cooler + paste, but not optimistic.
Next week will try old motherboard p67 with same software / hardware configuration.

Yes I will make screenshot of bsod.
Where exactly cooler should be hot? This photo I took after 20minutes of prime95 at 4GHz. In idle temps are similar 2-3 degree down.
temp cooler.jpg

For Bsod there should be 0x(xxx) .
The end of heat pipes , there are 8 pipes , on the top of your cooler (4 each side ) this is their end , those laser thermal checker are not very accurate . touch them by hand while under load , i am just checking if all heat pipes are working correctly . some time due to minor crack the gas get out and heat pipes do not cool correctly .

Fixed 1.25 at 3rd minute
IMG_20181130_073832.jpg

At 1.25 and 1.3v at 44 multiplier got same bsod on logon screen, checked twice both voltages.
44 at 1.35v fixed line calibration Auto 3-4 minutes same bsod.

Last edited:
I install the old P67 Pro3 MB. I got 4.4-4.GHz very stable clock, max temps 85c.
May be I cannot make good OC with new Z68 or may be the motherboard has problem.
Same cooler, same thermal paste, almost same bios settings.

I have no experience with AsRock Z68 however with my Z77 Extreme4 it won't behave with my 2500K unless I add around +.20ish additional turbo voltage.

could you test same overclock with manual ram setting ( on Z68 ) , set ram to the lowest possible frequency ,
also could you try to add another fan to the cpu cooler this can help to drop the temp few more degree.

I get back the new z68 mb and replace thermal paste with AC MX4. On 4.2GHz max temps are under 80c. Before that with old paste hy510 was 80c at 4.0GHz.
So now I will try to make stable 4.4 - 4.5 GHz with Z68. As I read that other users are advising to raise the voltage to 1.4 - 1.45 and enabling PLL Overvoltage.
With offset voltage - +0.20 and + 0.50 I got bsod. Also try this additional voltage, also got bsod. May be I should try fixed 1.4 - 1.45?

Yes, use fixed. Then once you know what the stable voltage is, try the offset.

But sweet jesus, 1.4-1.45V is high for that CPU and clockspeed. I recall reaching 5 GHz around that point (with an average chip).

Those temps though....... these are normally cool running chips that can see 5 GHz on good air coling. The fact you are hitting 80C on stock is a bit disconcerting.

I got bsod on lower than 1.4v fixed. Also have additional voltage + 0.2 and pll enabled.
Now trying same with 1.4 and 1.45.
Can you suggest me settings for 4.4-4.5GHz?

I already have essentially. As I said above, I am completely floored that CPU is taking so much voltage to reach those easy overclocks as my experience with a dozen of these CPUs that voltage is typically used much closer to 5 GHz.... but every CPU is different. This one just happens to be one of the worst I have seen.

Strange is I set 1.4 or 1.45 in bios but it shows around 1.3 in windows applications.
IMG_20181130_172207.jpg

LLC fixes vdroop. Play around and see which 'level' brings that load voltage as close to what you set in the BIOS as possible.

That said, you need to figure out what EXACTLY you set in the BIOS. Close enough works in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear war... none of which is PC overclocking. :p

I also see that HWMonitor is showing voltage close to what you set...

You are also aware that you can hit the PRTScn button and get an image of the screen, right? Just paste the image in MS Paint, and save the file, then attach to the forums. Screencaps are so 1990s. :p

Fixed mode 1.450V LLC Level 5 (maximum), Additional voltage - +0.20 PPL Enabled. 1 hour OCCT stable 4.4GHz max temp 75c.
Which voltage I should look and compare to it?
z68 test 4.4.jpg

Back