• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock P67 Pro3 + I7 2600K OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would take "additional voltage" off automatic, those boards under that setting will allow the cpu to throw voltage like a MLB ptcher (the high heater joke). I would look at the fan on the cooler and see if it is 120mm or 92mm, of the latter I would suspect it to be the tx3. The tx3 is not much of a cooler compared to the hyper 212 if I remember correctly.

2x8 G Skill (post1)
View attachment 202198

Take dimensions of my cooler and I think it is CM TX3, which as I look at internet is very bad for clocking.
I order CM 212 and after install it, will make tests and photos again.

As you can see from the SPD tab in CPU-z, Crucial says your RAM only needs 1.5 volts to run at 1600 mhz. If you have an XMP setting in bios, choose it. That should give you optimum stable timings. Leave the RAM voltage on Auto.

And stop using auto settings for you overclock. Auto settings generally apply considerably more voltage to components than is actually necessary.

Yes, your cooler is the TX3. A hyper 212 evo will have four heat pipes, not three. You definitely need a bigger cooler. However, better check the clearance to the side panel. The hyper 212 evo is 160mm tall. What is the make and model of your case? We can look up the clearance specs for max cooler height.

Actually don't know exact model of my case. Yesterday took dimension of my cooler and saw that CM 212 will fit. Even biger, but I order it, tomorrow will test.
What do you mean auto settings? I should change those to be exact value, not auto?
>> VTT 1.051v Auto, PCH 10.59v Auto, CPU PLL 1.832 Auto and VCCSA 0.925 Auto <<

I guess my sense is you may be using the automatic overclocking genie in bios. Why was you RAM voltage set past 1.5? Did you do that or did some auto setting do it? I'm not saying you shouldn't leave some settings on auto but I am saying not to use the auto genie which takes over all the voltage settings.

I replace the cooler with CM212. Now temps are 65-75 core and 50 cpu.
offset voltage - +0.020v
CPU Load line calibration - Level3
DRAM Auto 1.5v
Can I drop down voltage ?

4.4GHz test CM212.jpg

Now you are using offset? You are all over the place... lol

You can try lowering voltage, sure.

Yes. I was trying offset - -0.02, but got BSOD after 10minutes. Will try fixed 1.35v and 1.30v.

I will try few days, cause these 1-2 hours test may be are not enough.
For now 1.3v fixed got BSOD after 10minutes. 1.35 fixed got BSOD after 15-20minutes.
will test this weekend with ofset - +0.020 or should try something different?

I see that people got 4.4GHz of 2600k with 1.24v. May be other board Z68 is better for clocking?

Across the internet:
//Both the Pro3 and Extreme4 have an 8+2 power system. However, the Pro3 has an analog-controlled version whereas the Extreme4 has a new digitally-controlled system. Theoretically the digital control is more precise and should provide smoother power to the CPU, resulting in lower temps and higher overclocking potential. While digital control might be nice, analog control isn't bad ... it's just not as precise.\\

Is that true?

The shorter tests are simply to see if you are in the ballpark for stability. Once you hit your final clockspeed and think you are close in voltage (determined by shorter testing as you are doing now...) then you can run a test for a few hours.

It is, but the difference it makes isn't much.

That other board may be better, who knows how much. Does your current motherboard have the latest BIOS? If not, flash to it.

4.4GHz is my target.
About BIOS, last stable is:
version 3.30 from 2013/10/15
and there is
[Beta] 3.40 2018/5/30 Update CPU Microcode (I think this is for spectre and meltdown and I am not sure if I want to apply it)
[Beta] 3.25 2014/11/25Improve PCIE compatibility.

SO, are you on the latest BIOS? Either the 3.30 or 3.40 is the question. If not, flash to one of them and see if that changes anything. ;)

That's as good as it is going to get then as far as BIOS goes.

You can keep tweaking here if you want or wait until your new board arrives. It may be the same, it may be better... you will have to try and see. :)

enable pll overvoltage. that will get you past 4.4 most likely all sandies maxed around 4.4 without it enabled. with sandy bridge literally all you need to do is pll overvoltage and up multiplier and voltage until you either run out of thermal capability or voltage hits 1.4v most 2600k's had no issue getting 5ghz on air cooling.

i would personally reset bios to default and start those are the only settings that need to be changed to get any sandy chip past 4.5 ghz.

i would personally reset bios to default and start those are the only settings that need to be changed to get any sandy chip past 4.5 ghz.

Little confused. Reset bios, enable ppl, fixed voltage 1.4 and cpu ratio 44/45 only?

Higher voltage neans higher temperatures right?

Little confused. Reset bios, enable ppl, fixed voltage 1.4 and cpu ratio 44/45 only?

Higher voltage neans higher temperatures right?

no,
1. enable PLL overvoltage.
2. try higher multi if it fails give more voltage
3. stop when either you hit 1.4v or his 90c or you cant get anymore mhz.

personally i ran my 2500k @ 5ghz on a 212+

I tried after default, enable PLL and LLC to level 3/4, there is no Auto there. 1.3v fixed BSOD, 1.35v fixed also BSOD, temps are similar.
I think this settings are my optimal:

Load optimized CPU OC - disabled
CPU Ratio - 44
Host clock override BLCK - 100
Spread Spectrum - Auto
Intel speedstep - Enabled
Intel Turbo - Boost - Enabled
Additional turbo voltage - Auto
Internal PLL voltage - Disabled
Long Duration Power limit - 250
Long Duration Mainboard - Auto
Short Duration Power limit - 250
Primary and Secondary Current limit - Auto

DRAM 9-9-9-24 Auto 1600.
Cpu core voltage - offset. offset voltage - -0.020v or + 0.020 still testing

CPU Load line calibration - Level3
DRAM voltage - Auto
VTT 1.051v Auto, PCH 10.59v Auto, CPU PLL 1.832 Auto and VCCSA 0.925 Auto

Halt state C1E - enabled
C3, C6, Package C State are Disabled
Thermal and else are Enabled
Virtualization - Disabled

I got max 80c on heavy OCCT/Prime95 2hours load. When gaming most of the time 65-75.
I replace my cooler fan with arctic f12, cause the original CM was noisy. Now all my vents are in low speed, temps are 35-40 in desktop idle.

When other asrock mb arrives will test and decide which one to choose.

Back