• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is wrong with the capital region in new york?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dearbeloved

I can't find a single hardware distributor except best buy and they don't have anything worth buying. All I hear is newegg and all these other online retailers turning to crap and sometimes I just want to browse or just want things now. Are there anything retailers near albany or schenectady new york?

FrozenCPU.com
311 East Chestnut Street
East Rochester, NY 14445, There are 2 Microcenters but they Are way south of Albany, like Yonkers, Long Island. If Rochester was any closer to me I would head up to Frozen CPU, but they don't really have any components.

Even Rochester is a little ways away. I'm going to have to check it out anyways. See what they can offer me. I'm just bummed because there's not many computer guys that I know and I kinda get that wierd look every time I start talking about computers.

Even Rochester is a little ways away. I'm going to have to check it out anyways. See what they can offer me. I'm just bummed because there's not many computer guys that I know and I kinda get that wierd look every time I start talking about computers.
Dude.... I get that look from my fiance EVERY time I start talking about computers! Her eyes glaze over kind of like someone who has had head trauma. And as far as I know, there really isn't alot of computer people out my way either

I work at a tattoo shop in Scotia ny. As you can probably imagine, my computer terminology and talk isn't entertained by anyone other than the few patrons who know a little something. They know how to use Google and photoshop. I just wish there were people around here if could at least just kick it with and talk geek. I'm not from here so it's a difficult for me to find others in my boat

Again, I know what you mean. I just moved up here back in January from FL. Don't know very many people up here either, but it is what it is. It's a whole different world up here compared to what I am used to.

Don't feel bad, I've talked to more people from Ohio on here about computers than in real life I think, as stated by others most people just use them and could care less about the things we enjoy about them.

I'm from the syracuse area and there is only best buy here as well... the only other local place we had was a comp usa but the prices were so bad it was better to just order stuff. i have spent many thousands of $ at newegg over 10+ years and i've never had anything but great experience with them... not sure why you wouldn't just order?

the only reason i wish we had something close is if i need to buy something same day that best buy does not carry.... does not happen that often though.

Many years ago I almost started a small repair shop and component reseller with a friend. he ended up opening a dollar store, which of course tanked within a year. The idea of needing a local hardware supplier is real. The only options are Best Buy and Computer Rennaisance. CR is horrible and overpriced. Best Buy limited. There's smaller mom/pop used stores but, well, they suck too for lack of modern components.

Summer 2010 I drove down to Microcenter in Yonkers (less than 2 hours drive) to get all the parts for my current build. It's better than 3+ hours to Boston. When I'm ready for my next build I'll likely be doing the exact same thing, or ordering the parts online. I get 99% of my random and business related parts online anyway, but sometimes it's nice to buy and build the same day.

I don't know if they still have them, but there used to be a regular computer fair at Hudson Valley Community College. You could get most components for a good build there back-in-the-day (2003/2004).

Back