• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the what?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
So my main folding machine in my basement decieded not to GPU fold. CPU folding is going great but we all know that don't do much. I have 2 x 3080's and a 3060. F@H had them all listed as disabled. No reason, just disabled. I did a reboot and it stayed the same. I removed all GPU slots and added them back in with a restart of the program after removing them. Nothing. I siad "Nuts." to the whole thing and left it. Nobody heard me say nuts but I said it. Do cats count? Because they didn't hear it either so....

Over the course of the week, my points have been increasing. I haven't done anything but clearly my GPU's are coming back online or someone is playing a joke on me and folding under my name. I mean... what the hell man!? How do they just stop working then start working on thier own?

I think that the key is that while the machine was running, a power glitch had left my main folder a zombie sucking power and doing zero work. Once I fixed that, I had the GPU issue in F@H. Maybe new WU's cleared themselves and thus allowed it to work again? I think that was the gist the last time I had this issue.

So... long story long. My production is starting to get back to full tilt and I am looking at the #5 spot for ppd. Be warned all.

Du du duuuuuuu....... (Ominous music)

So my main folding machine in my basement decieded not to GPU fold. CPU folding is going great but we all know that don't do much. I have 2 x 3080's and a 3060. F@H had them all listed as disabled. No reason, just disabled.
I get that every couple weeks it seems, folding in Linux. Ubuntu is notorious for installing some kind of updates, even-though I've taken steps to disable that. I had switched a rig to fold in Fedora 36, which at least asks if you want updates. But, aside from the Nvidia driver, I don't know what else could affect the GPU's ability to fold, in the FAHcontrol.

I don't know when v.8 will be released, but hope these issues will be resolved.

Don let us know if you can get it to fold while the PC is off
Over the course of the week, my points have been increasing. I haven't done anything but clearly my GPU's are coming back online or someone is playing a joke on me and folding under my name. I mean... what the hell man!? How do they just stop working then start working on thier own?
Don, Let us know if you can get it to fold with the PC off...I think you'll have something then...:popcorn:

Don let us know if you can get it to fold while the PC is off

Don, Let us know if you can get it to fold with the PC off...I think you'll have something then...:popcorn:
I'm working on a similar idea in reguard to my lawn care. I'm tired of killing the grass and growing the weeds. The solution may reside in purposely killing the grass and growing the weeds. By trying to do the opposite, I may end up with a lush green lawn. Note: Our area has plenty of water. Not floods but a high water table for sure.

So folding with power off... well.... that may be the next step in my life's arc.

Back