• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory upgrade- I7 860 -maximus III formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ContactNeo

Registered
Hey guys,

I`ve been looking all over for a recommendation of some DDR3 for my particular setup..
You should be able to see what I`m running at the moment listed above.
I got rid of the missus and now have enough money finally to jam in some more RAM..:clap:
I`m a little out of the loop for the last year and half so I need some advice on latest performance RAM.
The `catch` is that I need low clearance RAM because of the Zalmann extreme.:sn:
I currently have 1600mhz ripjaws which are nice looking but I wont get two more in the board under the Zalmann.. shame really
So, should I go 4 sticks at 2000mhz?
Would I get a performance gain using 2x 8GB sticks or 4x 4GB?
I want to try to get the best that is currently available, around 16GB, low clearance and likes overclocking.(and looks good if poss.)
Thanks for any advice given..:cool:

The more ram you have the more stress on your IMC, the lower it can overclock memory. 99% of users don't need more than 4gb of ram. Also you are unlikely to see a performance increase by going to faster ram unless you benchmark. So my advice is just save your money and just keep the ram you have.

Mushkin redlines/blacklines or radio-actives
Corsair XMS or Vengeance
*G.Skills Sniper's look pretty sweet but might not fit (they are a little taller, but don't have big fins)

2x4gb should be plenty for now and you can always add more later. I would also look for 1.5v-ish kits in case you end up wanting to go Sandybridge or Ivybridge and hang on to your ram.

redlines or snipers would look nice on that board.

Back