• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on getting Asus REM/replacement mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reciever80

Registered
Hello guys, Happy Thanksgiving to you all, hope you're all stuffed!

I got a new heatsink & fan on wednesday, I've taken them off mobo's before, and went to go put it on my new computer and take off my stock/old one. When I pulled on the heatsink (not very hard), the clip for the processor made a 'pop' sound, and came off with the heatsink (still attached). The clip stayed down in the lock position, and ever since it hasn't worked (it actually bent some pins on my processor when, thinking it was still working, tried putting the processor back in, clipping it down, and then having it fall out again after.

The reason for this thread is that, unless you guys think I should just try using my current motherboard anyway-depending on my heatsink's force on the CPU to lock it into place (it's doing a good job of keeping it down, however my computer won't boot). I'll be needing a new motherboard. As a way to save money, I was planning on using ASUS's REM service to file a claim under their warranty (faulty locking mechanism, it should've not been broken that easily, to be honest I'm not sure if it wasn't broken in the first place), and wasn't completely sure how to word it so that I could get a free replacement.

What do you think I should tell ASUS that gives me the best chance for an REM? Or will they determine the replacement cost at the service center? I'm hoping that with the replacement mobo, I can try putting my processor in again, and having it work (as far as I could tell, i was able to straighten them all out), saving me about $400 in the process.

Its always best to be straight up and honest with them. They'll give you and RMA over the phone but the final say comes when they receive the board and inspect it. If you try to pull a fast one they will notice it. However from your description it sounds like the clip might have been faulty, so just call them up and get a RMA :thup:

Where did you buy it from? Since its only been about a week, sometimes the place where you bought it from will provide a faster replacement with their return policy rather than going through the Asus RMA.

Oh no, it's been a week since i got the aftermarket Heatsink. The Mobo's been in my possession since 6/14/11.

I'm about to send in the RMA, is there anyway I can tell if the pins in the socket are bent? It's an M5a88-v Evo, and there's what looks like a cover over them.

Also, if I end up having to pay for repairs, are repairs full price or if it's a broken retention clip, is it only a small amount? First time with RMA's, hoping I don't have to pay for this.

Back