• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

non-ecc rdram vs. ecc ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
error correction.

i think ALL (if not, then most of them) amd chipsets that are currently in production do NOT work with ECC memory. If you use ECC memory they either simply dont work, or the motherboard disables ECC of the memory and uses it as regular non-ECC memory.

I dont know if Intel systems currently can use ECC. I think ECC was made for server useage.

also note: I remember reading somewhere that the ECC function is now performed by the software you use, instead of the memory itself. I dont recall where I read it, so it might not be correct, someone pipe up if that is correct/wrong.

Ecc ram (if it uses the same concept as SDRAM) was mostly used on severs.It runs a few NS slower.You probally dont need that type of ram in your system,plus it runs a few bucks more than the non ecc.Hope this helps

Back