• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will constant uptime hurt a CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whitefang

I'm going to try and use my friend's Athlon II X4 CPU to run a minecraft server for us, so we don't have to rely (or rather, I don't have to) on him to play. I, obviously, want to run the server 24/7. Will the constant uptime hurt/degrade the CPU at all?

Thanks!

CPUs are designed to run loaded at their stock speeds 24/7, so you'll be fine :thup:

Not an issue at all.
Mine runs 50-100% load 24/7, always has and always will.

My old Dual P4 fileserver is still chugging along nice :) Thats on 24/7 365 days a year :p

Infact I prefer my systems running 24/7, especially my fileserver as most hard disks fail during the spin-down or spin-up process. I even try to regulate the temps of my servers hardisks so they run between 30c and 45c. Harddisks dont like to be cold!

In fact, I would argue the opposite of what you would expect. Since materials expand and contract when heated and cooled a constant uptime should mean less heating and cooling cycles. The material life of the processor should actually be longer.

In fact, I would argue the opposite of what you would expect. Since materials expand and contract when heated and cooled a constant uptime should mean less heating and cooling cycles. The material life of the processor should actually be longer.

+1! I couldn't agree more. If you understand physics, that makes a lot of sence :thup:

Back