• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC2100 vs. PC2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToyzShopMike

Registered
Is there a noticable advantage to PC2700 over the PC2100 I am looking at upgrading but am uncertain which way to go. to get the best bang for the buck. Any suggestions would be helpfull.
My 2 thoughts were to either upgrade the memory to over 1G...or
up the processor to an XP2000 but I am not sure which way would be more effective

current system...
Asus A7A266
1.33 T-Bird running pretty constant at 113 degF not overclocked
2 sticks 256mb PC2100 DDR ECC
64mg Nvidia G-force2 Ti
dual boot system >>>WinMe for my Drag Racing sim and WinXP for my webdesign stuff.

what do you guys think would be the best way to get this thing to give me some significant KICK?
thanx
Mike

As far as best bang for the buck, get the Crucial PC2100's. They can hold their own against PC2700's. Some people have even shown the Crucial 2100 up as high as 183MHz!

I say that you should buy an 1800XP and OC it to 2000XP speeds.

My $.02

I won't do either. Why? The PC2700 is not going to help much if you dont have a board that support it. Unless you plan to o/c your fsb. Even then good cruical PC2100 can do that. As for your cpu just wait if you can for the new Tbred to come out.

thanx for the reply's you guys did help me from jumping into anything.... so basically there is no minor upgrade that will be a noticable difference?
I was looking at buying a stick of 1024 PC2100 or upgrade the CPU to the XP2000 but I guess it seems I may as well hold off until AMD releases the .013 micron chips and go that route???
Mike

by the way what is good "cruical" PC2100 ? I currently have 2 sticks of unregistered PC2100 DDR ECC @ 256mb each.

ToyzShopMike said:

by the way what is good "cruical" PC2100 ? I currently have 2 sticks of unregistered PC2100 DDR ECC @ 256mb each.

I havent found any bad crucial yet. you dont need the ecc, as it slows you down 1 clock cycle. My crucial cl2.5 runs at 155FSB at 2-2-2 just and and I think it actually enjoys it.;)

Back