• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I overvolt my ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackedSKull

Hi, I have a wierd story about my ram's death.

Back about 2 months ago my only stick of ddr ram died, running at 2.7v(however it was at 2.8v for a short time).
So i call up crucial and rma it, except i pay for a new one(and plan on sending the old one back), so they would credit my card when they recieve the old one.
Anyways a few days later my ram magicily starts working again(this is 2 weeks after it died).
So I keep it since I could use more ram anyways(remember I did pay for the new one, but they gave me the old $36 price:D )

Everythings fine until about 2 days ago my ram(the same stick dies again) So I guess I'm going to rma it (for real), but theres no hurry since I got another module now.

On with my question-
Do you think I overvolted my ram, or is it just defected, now I'm running at [email protected], but would like to try 2.9v, but I'm afriad it's not safe.
I have good case cooling(100cfm+), but no ramsinks/heat spreaders.

So should I try 2.9v, stay at 2.8v, or go back to 2.7v?

Last edited:
sounds like you may have a bad solder joint in the module. It hakes contact whenever it feels likk it and BAM it works. Other times the joint will loose contact and it wont work. Either way you have a bad module.

Back