• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

For an inexpensive HTPC would the Intel Celeron G530's integrated graphics be able to handle 1080 playback ( on a program like xbmc) and emulators ( only up to n64)?

Any other suggestions on the cpu for a mATX/ itx htpc are welcome. Either amd or intel im not too bothered. But the best bang for your buck under £40 ( and no more than £60 on the mobo)

If not i might get a small gtx 430 / AMD Radeon HD 6450 ( although the 430 seems to be much better and very similar in price)

Any suggestions welcome!

Should work fine. The G620 might be a small step up for a very similar price. That's what I'm using in my desktop now with no issues, and I'm planning on moving it to my HTPC where I'm sure it'll be more powerful than necessary.

Do you know the exact EMU and what roms?

project 64 ( that will be the most intense one, im sure it can handle snes ones etc.) I would say multiplayer games such as mariokart, etc. But ideally being able to play every ROM. ( zelda games etc)

If you want a bit more GPU power than the Sandy Bridge integrated, why not go for an AMD APU?

partly because it seems that the amd mITX boards tend to be a bit more expensive weirdly :screwy:

What sub £50 amd has a decent enough apu to run emulators?

Since when do emulators need a good GPU? I ran emulators just fine on my PIII 600MHz, and my AXP 1700+ after that... that was almost 10 years ago.

Since when do emulators need a good GPU? I ran emulators just fine on my PIII 600MHz, and my AXP 1700+ after that... that was almost 10 years ago.

they dont, hence why im asking about the integrated graphics on the low end SB's/AMD APUs. I have no idea how powerful integrated gpus are, say if you want to run emulators on a 1080 screen? Hence the question :thup:. I could just slap a £20 low profile graphics card in there and know it would be fine, but i want to keep size, cost and power consumption down to a bare minimum.

Note that the Ivy Bridge integrated is much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge integrated.

Here's a direct comparison between the APUs and the SB Pentiums.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4524/...-review-pentium-g850-g840-g620-g620t-tested/4

Remember that CPU power wise, the APU is only an Athlon II. Both CPUs are going to meet your needs just fine. You'd also be looking at an A4, which is a bit less powerful than the A6 used for the comparison.

is the integrated gpu on the celeron the same as the 2700k? :s otherwise this comparison just shows me what a 3770k can do :p

Back