• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any hands on experience w/ocz PC3000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyburnt

Registered
I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of the 256 (rev.2) sticks and would apreciate any further insight from owners of the 256 (rev.2) or especially the 512(rev.2) sticks. Thanks

OCZ

Not the 3000. I've been running the 2700 and can get 160+ if I run the slowest timings. I'm going to pass this stick off to someone else and try out the OCZ PC3200. Should have it in a week or two.

I setup the ocz-pc3000 on an Epox8k3a+ for a friend...so far after a month solid it's running rock solid.;)

Ive seen testimony that it will run 200 fsb at caS 2.5... Wondering what it will do at cas 2

Just sent ours back today- ordered rev.2 PC3000 from Ocsystem.com and apparently got the earlier model, as it was eeprom'ed for 2.5-3-3 even at 133, and the new one is supposed to be programmed for cas 2 up to 166mhz..
In our A7n266-C it wouldn't run 2-2-2 beyond 133mhz, and crashed before 140 @ 2.5-2-2. Max stable speed was 140 @ 2.5-3-3. Perhaps in the right motherboard (the Abit seems to like OCZ) with an unlocked processor, it might have cranked right up there with relaxed timings- but for our purposes, it was pretty sad..
The good news? It seems OCZ is going to Samsung chips (ours was the Hynix)- if so, the new ones may run as advertised.
The other good news- we got our replacement stick of Samsung PC2700, and it ROCKS! :cool:

Last edited:
I've heard there's software out there that will identify it, but don't remember where I read about it... maybe someone can help out with that..
I just ~CAREFULLY~ pried up the heatsink (they've really got a grip- be firm but gentle!) on one side and peeked in with a flashlight...

I have two OCZ 3000 that did 2.5-3-3 at 210 MHz (DDR420), but I did NOT run a torture test since my PCI was too far out of spec to risk hard drive corruption. Both compare as well or better than Samsung or Corsair PC2700 CAS2 DDR. One of the online vendors was a scammer ( you can probably get the name here but I do not remember) that sold bad stuff. I buy my computer parts from the Computer Swaps in Southern California from the vendors that have been around for a while.
Last weekend I bought one 256 Meg OCZ 400 (supposed to be the latest stuff) which seems to be faster. But, I am not an expert!
Also, my only computer that is up right now is crappy P4S333-M with no DDR voltage adjust and no way to lock PCI/AGP freq to spec. So, maybe this data is not meaningful. These might be selected Hynix (?spelling) chips.
John

Back