• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking biostar m6tsu motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

I have a celeron 1.2 with biostar m6tsu motherboard. I want to overclock by increasing the fsb to 133. However, can't figure out how to do it in BIOS setup.

I read a review of this mobo in which the review said it was easy to set the fsb for overclocking.

There is no fsb setting anywhere in the bios setup. There is also no cpu voltage adjustments anywhere in there either.

The bios is Award BIOS 6.00 PG.

I must be missing something obvious. Any help will be appreciated.

There should be a bios submenu called Frequency/Voltage Control. If it's not there, flash the bios with a new one. The manual on the website says it should be there.

Thanks. My BIOS shows a slightly different screen than that on page 2-29 of the manual.

Under CPU Host/PCI Clock the setting is 100/33. It only allows me to adjust from 100 to 132. I've changed it to 132 and then exited with saving. However, when the computer boots up it's still at 100.

I still feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any other suggestions?

It was something simple after all. I wasn't exiting BIOS setup properly and thus the fsb change wasn't being saved.

It's stable only up to 118 fsb. At 120 fsb win 2K hangs on start up. Over 120 and nothing boots up and CMOS has to be reset on the mobo.

Thanks hoytron for your help.

No problem. You should be able to get more out of that chip though. Have you tried to increase the voltage? What kind of heatsink and fan are you using?

I couldn't find a way to adjust the voltage in BIOS. There is a section titled "PC health status" in BIOS. But it just shows the voltage levels and does not allow adjustment.

I went to biostar's web site. They have a BIOS for download which was created on 9/11. The BIOS installed on PC was created 9/11. Probably same.

I read about wrapping wires around 2 CPU pins. I'd rather not try that.

For cooling, I'm using the heatsink / fan that came with the chip.

So I take it that Biostar's offices weren't in the World Trade Center. You'll probably want better than stock cooling if you intend to raise the voltage. I suggest the Thermalright AX-7. IMHO, it's the best heatsink out there for that socket.

I did the "wire wrapping" trick which increased cpu voltage to 1.62. It was actually pretty easy to do. I was able to achieve 126 fsb. Over that up to 130 fsb win 2K would just about load but ended up rebooting the computer. Over that and it wouldn't post. I think voltage is the limiting factor. Can not manually adjust voltage in bios.

It's running too hot at 126 fsb. Temps are 51 C idle and 56 C load. Crashes on Sandra burn in. Take the case off and temps are 46 / 50 and runs fine.

I'm now looking for CHEAP cooling solution. Would just blowing more air through the case with a 2nd fan (for exhaust) cool it sufficent? If so, regular fan or one of those PCI slot fans?

This whole computer has been built on the cheap and I'm very happy with it. Motherboard $75 (w shipping), Celeron 1.2 $85 (w shipping) 512MB of PC133 $60 (at best buy after christmas sale w rebate) and the rest of the parts from unused equipment (SB 512PCI, nvidia TNT2, 20G HD, 56K modem, case + 300 watt PS). For that price I'm running 1510 at 126 fsb. More than enough for what I use it for.

Thanks for the help.

Thermalright AX-7 was cheap ($45 including shipping with Panflo 40cfm fan). Lowered temps case on temps 10C (40C / 45C). Runs 128 fsb no problems. Will do 129 fsb but crashes on stress test. Posts up to 132. W2K crashes on boot up at 130 and +.

Thanks for tip on HSF.

Back