• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rdram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matt761

im currently running pc800 memory. i hear they wil be coming oiut with a new faster rdram (i think it was like 1060 or something). Wil it work if i bought the new ram and put it on my mofo or would i have to buy a new one?

I'm not an expert on RAM but I think you can run faster ram on a slower mobo. But not vise versa. How much can you o/c your fsb? I heard ASUS is comming out with a mobo that will take those 1066 sticks to the limit. ASUS P4T533. Be nice if they included 0+1 133 raid support.

i cant wait for that new ram, is it gonna be expensive though? with this new asus board, the p4t533 or whatever its called, can you use the soon-to-be-old-tech northwood's that use 100x4 fsb with the 133x4 board? (im planning on overclocking anyways though), and wahts with the ram? if the new 1060mhz ram or whatever is really expensive then can i use pc800 on it?

I would think it could work but since I'm an o/c wannabe right now don't take my word.

I'm wondering if it would be better to run the 2.4/400 or the 2.4/533 Northwood on this mobo? It seems you would have more o/c overhead with the 400 fsb CPU.

i guess thats true, plus the architecture for both cpus are the exact same thing just set with a 133x4 fsb instead of 100x4. undoubtedly the 2.4 with a 133x4 fsb will be much more expensive, so i think you should go with the 400fsb one, cause if you're gonna oc it it's the exact same thing as the higher fsb version.

Let's see...

Pump up that locked CPU to 3.6/600 and some of those 1066 or 1200 Samsung RDRAM sticks...

Might work...

From what I understand, there will be two types of PC1066, 16-bit and 32-bit (PC4200). The Asus board will use the latter I believe. But it will only come with one stick 256 and figure the board will run $150-200 and the ram $200 at least.

You cannot use a 32-bit stick in a board that uses PC800. Samsung will probably make PC1066 16-bit sticks that will work in those boards, for a short while anyway. I doubt PC1200 will be made in 16-bit.

But makes you wonder what is a PC1066 16-bit stick? I bet it is just binned PC800. And you wonder what is the headroom? If it's like the current 'good' batches of PC800, doubt it will run beyond 136-138 at 4X stable.

Unless I come into a large flush of money, I won't have to worry about which to buy until late this year. By then AMD will have their 64bit CPU out there and we'll see what Intel is going to do about it. Hopefully everything will be even better and cheaper by then.

Clevor said:
From what I understand, there will be two types of PC1066, 16-bit and 32-bit (PC4200). The Asus board will use the latter I believe. But it will only come with one stick 256 and figure the board will run $150-200 and the ram $200 at least.

You cannot use a 32-bit stick in a board that uses PC800. Samsung will probably make PC1066 16-bit sticks that will work in those boards, for a short while anyway. I doubt PC1200 will be made in 16-bit.

But makes you wonder what is a PC1066 16-bit stick? I bet it is just binned PC800. And you wonder what is the headroom? If it's like the current 'good' batches of PC800, doubt it will run beyond 136-138 at 4X stable.

The P4T-533 is going to have a couple of different versions. Right now they are saying that there is going to be a P4T-533E and a P4T-533C. You are parly right when you say that Asus is going to support 32 bit PC4200 ram. The E version of the board is going to have two 32 bit rimm slots, while the C version is going to be an exact copy of the P4T-E (layout wise) with 4 rimm slots that support 16 bit (pc2100) ram. The other differences are that the E version will support raid, usb 2.0 and a couple of other luxuries.

If you want to learn more about the P4T533 boards, you should check out this thread over at asusboads.com.

Im looking forward to the new board :)

thanks for the great info guys... any idea on how much the p4t533E is gonna cost? i think thats the one im gonna get if the ram is cheaper and it supports raid

The longer I can wait, the better it'll get. :D

From Tom's Hardware Guide

"Not even an overclocked AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with a water-cooling system can offer serious competition for the tuned Pentium 4/2800. Here, it should be noted that the P4/2533 ran stably at 2800 MHz with a standard CPU cooler."

The one thing I really like about the Northwoods is that they run a lot cooler than Athalons. Makes it easier to cool without resorting to cryogenic peltiers.

I dunno if any of you caught this in the tbreak review of the Asus P4T533 but it doesn't look good if yer running it with a Woodie A:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS gives you overclocking through the BIOS as well as the onboard dip-switches. Adjusting the switches, you can set the FSB speeds between 100, 103, 105, 110, 133, 136, 138 and 140. The BIOS allows you a little more flexibility with a few added settings between the ones mentioned above as well as a high of 150MHz FSB which in our opinion is on the lower side. For voltage, VCore can be adjusted upto 1.850V but there is no option for adjusting the voltage of memory or AGP.

We were able to take out 100MHz based Northwood CPU from 1.60GHz all the way to 2.4GHz or 150MHz FSB which is the highest that's allowed by the P4T533. We did not have to adjust the VCore up till 148MHz FSB and only raised it to 1.550 to achieve stability at 150MHz FSB. ASUS should have given higher FSB options on the P4T533. Hopefully a BIOS update will allow this in the future

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.tbreak.com/hard/mobo/asus_p4t533-c/index.html

Ouch! That might be enough of an FSB increase for OC'ing if you're running with the woodie B's and pc1066 RDRAM, but blows for those of us looking to use with board with the A's and upgrade later.

:confused:

Peace

Last edited:
I seldom buy the first model of anything. Looks like I'll watch the 850E chipset a little longer before commiting the $$$.

Back