• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flame War!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hardlined

Registered
Ok DDR ram prices have dropped, and are continuing to drop, so I am gonna upgrade from my 256 stick of micron pc2100 to half a gig or either mushkin or authentic crucial (I take it these 2 are the best)? I need to know from PERSONAL experience, which one people have had better luck with in overclocking and general overall performance, I think I am leaning slightly towards mushkin but my friend keeps telling me to get crucial!! I need some expert ;-) advice.. Thanks

Both are excellent. ;)

Pretty much the big Four are

Crucial (wait for a 20% coupon, look in cyber deal section periodicly)

Corsair (Hardly ever on sale)

Samsung (Usually always reasonable, Buy from a reliable vendor)

Mushkin (always buy Mushkin on the Weekend as they have a sale every weekend. If you can't wait be aware that Newegg sells Mushkin cheaper than Buying from Mushkin.com (only exception is Mushkin.com's weekend sale)

Silversinksam said:
Both are excellent. ;)

Pretty much the big Four are

Crucial (wait for a 20% coupon, look in cyber deal section periodicly)

Corsair (Hardly ever on sale)

Samsung (Usually always reasonable, Buy from a reliable vendor)

Mushkin (always buy Mushkin on the Weekend as they have a sale every weekend. If you can't wait be aware that Newegg sells Mushkin cheaper than Buying from Mushkin.com (only exception is Mushkin.com's weekend sale)

what about kingmax??

If you must have my personal experience, look at my sig. My Crucial PC2100 has reached 172 FSB at the fastest settings, and 176 FSB with slower settings.

If I were to give you a recommendation, however, I would say buy Samsung PC2700. From the reviews I've seen, it looks like it overclocks to well over 200 MHz. Corsair PC2700 and PC3000 looks very good right now, as well. It's slightly more expensive, though.

Right now, I'd say Samsung and Corsair are in the top 2 spots for memory, not Crucial and Mushkin. Of course, these things always change.

NeoMoses said:

Right now, I'd say Samsung and Corsair are in the top 2 spots for memory, not Crucial and Mushkin. Of course, these things always change.

Mushkin will hang with Corsair and the pc3000 and 3200 will beat Samsung(I lost the link to the Mushkin pc3000 and 3200 ddr roundup.....but it was the only memory aside from Corsair that could smoke all the rest)

Heres a review on the 2700 round up
http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Memory/HighPerfDDR/

In the latest reviews I saw the corsair pc3000 was able to get upto 230 mhz fsb. I don't remember what the timings were but thats pretty high. I'm sure samsung would be fine if you don't want to spend $200 though :D.

Ok newbie questions what other timings are there beside pci dividers and cas latency? I have an abit kg7-raid and I can't find too many other settings...

rnpgrosz said:
In the latest reviews I saw the corsair pc3000 was able to get upto 230 mhz fsb. I don't remember what the timings were but thats pretty high. I'm sure samsung would be fine if you don't want to spend $200 though :D.

um...ok, i have an abit kr7a-133r, would i have to get a bios upgrade to handle over 2100? if this is better suited for mobo, feel free to pm me and tell me to go there...

I have the abit kg7r and i know for a fact it takes 2700 I have the latest bios update anyway but you could always check the abit website..

himura-dono said:
um...ok, i have an abit kr7a-133r, would i have to get a bios upgrade to handle over 2100? if this is better suited for mobo, feel free to pm me and tell me to go there...

hardlined said:
Ok newbie questions what other timings are there beside pci dividers and cas latency? I have an abit kg7-raid and I can't find too many other settings...

I was talking about the memory timings(ex.2-2-2). I didn't remember if the memory timings were relaxed or aggressive when they got to 230 mhz with the corsair.

yeah but what is the 2-2-2 ? I know one is cas latency, what are the other 2?

rnpgrosz said:

I was talking about the memory timings(ex.2-2-2). I didn't remember if the memory timings were relaxed or aggressive when they got to 230 mhz with the corsair.

When i had one stick of crucial it would do 176, but when i got my second stick i just cant get it stable at the really high speeds. It was ALMOST stable at 168, but not quite. Any higher and it wouldnt work, any lower, and it wouldnt work (too much voltage, and not a fine enough adjustment). Its stable a 160 though. I may mess with it again someday, but my next project is going to be my new TI4400.

Well I orderd half a gig of corsair 2400 xms, hopefully this will be what I need to get my system to a little higher speed.

correct me if im wrong but isnt using 2 sticks of 256 instead of 1 512 better for ocing? btw my crucial will go to 150 but then my system sttarts backing itself up on startup..... i dont think its the crucial though probably the hd

AgEnT0140 said:
what about OCZ memory? i havent seen much on them and they seem to have the cheapest memory around...

What about it? IMHO I would avoid it like the 'Boobonic' plague

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85219

PS Heres a less than Steller review:

"In our point of view, OCZ disqualified itself in our test. It´s ok if a module just reaches it´s specification and is not stable above it - "

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000015

Back