• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a pump/rez combo to fit... Quality & Quiet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

Currently my PC is so quiet on idle you can't hear it on at all. On full load (gamin or rendering) it could be used in a library. I'm looking for a pump/rez combo (ideally) that is quiet, exceptional quality, and will only be used to at most down the line cool my 8700k, Vega 64, and push flow through a, EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 240 slim dual radiator and a 360 slim triple radiator. I am leaning towards the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM for $164.74 + Shipping on Amazon.

All advice welcome. The EK-FC Strix RGB VEGA 64 water block & back plate come in next week so I'll have slightly more height clearance than shown.

I'll be most likely drilling holes in the floor of my case to mount it. I have about 3.5 inches between the end of the VEGA 64 and the 140mm fans on the 280mm Rad in the front and over there my height clearance goes up to about 10inches comfortably but w/ only 3.5 inches of width...

As a side note I'll also be drilling a larger hole for cables closer to the power supply for better cable management.

Thanks team!

20190219_142213.jpg
20190219_142418.jpg

I chose a D5 Vario since I don't have a PWM controller other than the motherboard. I figured it would be easier to control during filling. Otherwise, I don't think there is a great difference as long as you get D5 which allows speed adjustment. There are pads you can get to dampen the noise from the pump, maybe it's called an "isolater" but I don't remember who makes them.

I chose a D5 Vario since I don't have a PWM controller other than the motherboard. I figured it would be easier to control during filling. Otherwise, I don't think there is a great difference as long as you get D5 which allows speed adjustment. There are pads you can get to dampen the noise from the pump, maybe it's called an "isolater" but I don't remember who makes them.

I was thinking of getting some type of padding for the floor of the case to reduce vibrations. I did go with the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772VM1FJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My D5 is essentially silent at 2500rpm. It makes less noise than the fans at 500rpm, if they were stopped I would hear a very faint hum. I wound up not going the nerdy monitoring route, so I'm not sure what flow rate that corresponds to for my loop, but it doesn't seem to impact my component temps at all. That's without using an isolator on either fans or pump though. If you wanted to be truly silent though you could isolate everything. I found some stuff labeled "decoupling kit" here.

I also have a Dual D5 setup. It isn't "silent" but I only hear it if I listening for it. I have mine manually set on 3 "1-5" are the presets. Otherwise, they are the quietest pumps I've had out of 3 total I've owned.

I purchased my EK-XRES 140 from Witchdoctor a few years ago. At full speed (5) and my fans curve tuned way down at idle the fans are still the loudest component in my case, which is barely audible. I'm sure my fans are a little louder than yours DaPoets, but for my use my fans are adequate. The EK-XRES is so quiet I can't tell if it's running and need to touch it to feel for the mild pump vibration. The pump does come with 4 rubber mounting pads that do a decent job of preventing those vibrations from transferring to the case.

Others have reported they can hear the whine from the pump but I cannot. This is probably a pitch thing as we all hear slightly differently.

I have bought like three more since them, personally have had tremendous luck with them, just don't run it dry

you can mount that little pump / res it right to the bottom of the case

Back