• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair TX650W Exploded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atlehunekonge

This is a shock.

I was sitting playing Dragon age Origins, and my PC suddenly shutdown...
The lights were on the mobo, so I figured that it was a power surge at my house.

I hit the power on buytton, and the BOOOOOM, the flame where almost 30cm blowing out the back of my PSU, and then nothing:(

The psu smelled like fried pcb.

I got a new Chieftec today 650W, as a replacement, luckily nothing else was shorted out.

Anyone else heard of Corsair blowing up?
I am very careful about dust, cleaning it often. So it was pretty much free from debries and dust.

I am still a little nervous and jumpy:)

Atle

I've never heard of a corsair blowing up, let alone PSU, I'm just wondering but could we have pics? :D

I blame the fire breathing dragons, they infested your PSU and made it think it was a dragon. :D

Actually, i've heard of corsair PSU failures, but they are very, very, very rare. Every brand has it's units that explode though.

Should still be in warranty, everything above the 400CX has a five year warranty.

That's a surprise. It's a large single rail, so you couldn't have overloaded a rail (which hardly ever happens even on multi-rail PSUs)...

You say it was clean of dust, but was the fan working? Maybe broken fan cause heat issues? I dunno, just throwing out ideas...:shrug:

Definitely check warranty.

I had a Corsair 520HX die on me, (No explosion), Corsair is very good on taking care of their customers, Do an RMA and they will have the replacement shipped out in short order.

mine blew up a few weeks ago, it was sum a non make one, same thing happened to me while playing crysis, but all i heard was a pop sound n o flames hahaha

You shoulda put more points into its constitution...it woulda lasted longer. ;)

Sorry to hear about the PSU dying. I have a 1000w Corsair that's deader than 4 o'clock but 4 other Corsair PSUs that are purring along very nicely...you get a bad one from time to time with any mfgr I guess

If it didn't kill anything else when dying, it did just what a good PSU should do :beer:

Hehe,

Good replies:)

The reason I bought the Corsair was because it have got a good service record.
The fan is/were working, lol:)

So I will post a few pics later, then I will send back.
The thing is it doesnt look that scorched, just a pop and flame sticking out, then a bit of smoke. I am guessing a condensator or the likes of that.

It is 18 months since i bought it.... So it should be covered.

:attn:more constitution I guess lol:attn:

Believe it or not I had a 520HX and 620HX crap on me.. I was absolutely floored. Of course it took nothing out with it so, that was good.

I had a Corsair 520HX die on me, (No explosion), Corsair is very good on taking care of their customers, Do an RMA and they will have the replacement shipped out in short order.

I had a 520 die on me last year as well, caused by a power surge and faulty surge protector. They shipped the replacement to me so fast and no issue.

Only pus ive ever had 'explode' was some crappy CompuPower psu with a CompUSA brand on it. The thing cooked itself alive. Let me see if I still got a pic somewhere.

*edit* nope. But the pcb board which was normally tan was mostly black and have the caps had popped haha.

Back