• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2013 Chimp Challenge Race Updates & Musings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My HTPC cruncher in the living room fried last night. Heard what sounded like fire crackers going off and found it DOA :( Hope it's just the PSU.

@m715

Further thought on 13.3
The most likely reason it is "working" for you is that when you uninstalled the last Cat version from Add/Remove Programs (or just did a straight upgrade (this case also I believe)) is the certain files integral to the OpenCL folding part of the Catalyst package do not get removed from the uninstall process:

So you probably are not in fact fully folding on 13.3.

I would imagine the Official AMD Uninstaller removes these. (though I've not tested as I was removing them manually)

Ah that's interesting and probably explains it on my main rig as I did move from 13.1 to 13.3 and maybe the case with the 6950 rig, can't remember...
But, the 7770 rig I setup last night has had nothing but 13.3 ever installed on it :confused:

Anyone have tips or tricks on getting more ppd out of an i5-3570k (4-4.5GHz)?
Seems as though I should be getting more than 7000-12000 ppd...

Anyone have tips or tricks on getting more ppd out of an i5-3570k (4-4.5GHz)?
Seems as though I should be getting more than 7000-12000 ppd...
I would think you'd get more then that m715. I'm getting 18-22k on my 2500k @ 4.5, I didn't do a thing to it, just set it up on win 7 and ran it.

Well, I'll be down a day or two. Got to go out of town for a funeral. Don't want to risk leaving my rigs running with no one home.

My condolences, kyfire. Smart precaution to take. See you when you get back.

11 am update.

Our lead has returned to 9.9M, with VGT having an 8M lead over EVGA. All three top teams have continued to increase their separation from Custom PC & Bit-tech, and the lower tier of teams.

cc_0418_1100hrs.PNG

It's odd how close OCN and HWC are from each other - 3.2M, but TSC! and OCAU repeat this close paired pattern with just 4.0M difference between them. That's very close for the middle of the CC. Nevertheless, there's no sign of a rally by either team. That could be caused by the teams involved already racing as fast as they are able - and hence have no special "rally" strength to add, or it could be that they are in the process of marshaling new resources together. Either way, time is getting short to mount that sustained rally that will give them a better finish.

Tech PowerUp! made the mistake of bumping me out of their forum, (they have a security feature that can do this automatically), so any "trash talk" to get them going, was lost. That's the purpose of "trash talk" clearly - motivation. Nothing will get a team fired up faster, than someone coming into your teams forum, with a bit of trash. May seem odd, but it works fabulously. Some coaches have even "invented" trash talk on their own, when the opposing team and their fans, didn't provide any. Not uncommon at all.

@Eroc: good luck with that HTPC. I hate that sound and the smell sometimes is even worse.

Last edited:
chuckles....stock = non OCed. I'm holding off OCin my rigs till I see how they handle the heat of summer. My computer room can hit 90+F in the summer.

IMO, start shutting them down if no other cooling works, above 85°F. Trying to fight mother nature, and silicon is simply no match. I open a window in one corner room, (near the computers), then open one more that has a good fan on it in another room, and the X flow ventilation works great - up to 85°F. Beyond that, not well at all.

Temps have certainly been better for this years race.

12 pm update:

Back to the official stats site - the other didn't update this hour. This marks the halfway point in the race, having completed five days of racing. :burn: :burn:

cc_0418_1200hrs.PNG

All's quiet on the passing front. Small rally from TPU however. Care to counter that, OCAU?

We just need to

:burn: Fold! * Fold! * Fold! :burn:

Last edited:
I open a window in one corner room, (near the computers), then open one more that has a good fan on it in another room, and the X flow ventilation works great - up to 85°F. Beyond that, not well at all.
I do the same Adak, 2 windows in on 2 different walls with a fan in one and the door closed. Even with that my room was upwards of 85f with the out side temps at 65f, I was worried about my 955be @4.1 on air it was getting to 58c but it kept plugging along. :)

@Mandrake: 58°C is very good. Well done!

Just a comment: allowing a fertilizer plant - which uses and stores tanks of explosive material in large bulk quantities, to be put right in your town - near a school, a nursing home, and yes, residences - is NUTS! West, Texas has paid dearly for that mistake.

Condolences all around - a sad time for many in central Texas.

Last edited:
1 pm update.

VGT has moved closer this hour - our lead is down to 8.6M. EVGA is holding steady about 9.5M back from VGT.

cc_0418_1300hrs.PNG

OCN can't pass the Beavers, and TPU can't pass OCAU. So close, but not happening - yet.

Monkey See - Monkey Fold!​

2 pm update.

We finally had a nice update - 3.6M, on EOC. A string of 1.8M just won't get 'er done, nice though they are.

One key to our success - Active folders before the race: 237 Now: 283. :thup:

Congrats to our top 10:
cc_0418Top10.PNG

KGH, what model of the Cray Supercomputer did you manage to steal? :p Wow!! :cheers:

cc_0418_1400hrs.PNG

Fold >> Fold >> Fold!​

Sir Chris Hoy, whose 6 Olympic medals, and 11 world titles, propelled Cycling in the UK from a backwater sport, into a national craze, retired today.

Back in 2 hours.

Last edited:
Looking good guys! Keep up the good work! I love seeing that in order to crack the top 20 PPDers you have to be breaking 200K!
:shock:

:grouphug:

And it looks like tomorrow I should be breaking the 10mil mark!

4 pm update.

Our lead has been extended to 12M, but don't let that fool you. VGT has a handicap number than is more than twice what ours is (the multiplier). That makes them able to jump ahead rapidly in any rally. And they can rally right past us, given the chance.

Keep folding!

cc_0418_1600hrs.PNG

TPU has done it! They have passed OCAU, and are looking to get as far away from that caboose they were in, as possible.

You can't blame them, a bit.

From HWC on down, it's become incredibly close - much too tough to call a final ranking position!

Go 32, Go!​

Last edited:
Back